Rocket on the Bonneville Salt Flats

Albertaduke and I stopped at the Bonneville Salt Flats on the way back from RAA IX. Patrick had never seen it so we diverted our route to stop there. I have visited there many times but never when the salts were dry enough to go out on it with more than foot or a bicycle. There were several folks out there on the high speed run track with cars. Do I dare ? Hell YES ! I took my Rocket out there just as she was loaded for the trip. The wind was blowing strongly from the west. Took her out cautiously to get a feel for the salt. Not very smooth but OK. A bit slippery. Got out to the high speed run track area and opened her up. Spun the back tire several times. It doesn't take much throttle to do so. Have you ever done a rear wheel spin burn out at 125 MPH ? Very interesting. Only went to 145 MPH and thought that was enough due to the wind and slightly slippery surface. Got her covered with salt and had to take her into Wendover, NV. to find a self serve power wash to clean her up.. Patrick took some pictures of me going out and coming back in. The high speed run track was too far out for him to shoot the run from the end of the road.

crazy old man. i'm so jealous.

Just as much fun and less dangerous to your bike is the Black Rock Desert at Gerlach. NV.
Flying at WFO with a three story rooster tail of clay dust behind you is AWESOME!

Back