I think it is called a Rocket 3 for the same reason a Harley Davidson is NOT called a R2.
I, for one and I'm sure most here will agree, think "rocket" is a pretty good description.

Laverda managed -- ya but don't you think that is a pretty small rear tire for that amount of power and no wonder it sheared drive shafts.

Truth be known the Rocket I aka the Titan I prototype never made it off the ground. The Rocket II lost too many passengers and the parachute wasn't DOT approved. Now you know the rest of the story...:)

My mail is that it's revived from the BSA days - not sure why it was called Rocket 3 back then though.

How I remember it, BSA had been using the Rocket name for over 10 years on the 'high performance' A10 range - Road Rocket then Super Rocket. They just used the old Rocket name adding the '3' to signify 3 cylinders - as you say.

BSA-Rocket3-1969-ghosted.jpg

The Google will furnish you with a full compliment of these babies...

Not as 'pretty' as the Hurricanes though... I wouldn't say no to one of the older Rockets. Baxters in Maine had a couple for sale a while ago .. build one out of the two type deal , priced well I thought.

Back