Rocket III, the ultimate motorcycle ?

I think the biggest reason you don't see camparison test that includes the rocket is caus there aint no friggin bikes out there to compare it to. It truly is a stand alone bike.

I don't care about comparos. I have been enjoying my green Rocket since Oct. '04. (already:confused: ). I bought a second bike since then (a Daytona 675) but I have just resold it. I have road-tested numerous bikes since then (white hair and the appearance of wealth, to which, oddly enough, the Rocket contributes, causing me to be invited to almost every demo day taking place in Western Switz.) but I reckon I have more... er... affinities with the Rocket than with any other bike:D .

Had my bike for about a month and went from 1 to 750 miles on the thing. Wife thought that the blue and cream color was nice until she popped off the back. oops.:eek:

I Saw One

Paul...... I saw a Scorched Yellow Rocket the other day in my rear view mirror but it was way ahead of what was in third place......ouch! By the way, to keep your girl/wife snuggling real close..... put a nice coat of Armor All on the pillion.

Flip...... If you're philosophy is correct then my beast is one of the fastest around. I took all my retirement funds, added several grand from savings, broke my piggy bank to bits and removed all the dollar bills from the coffee can under the outhouse and paid cash for my RED R3.

I might have to de-tune with a slower Tuneboy setup so I can ride with the other guys.

All kidding aside, except for the part about paid red R3's being fastest, it is a wonderful ride. I agree that different bikes have different purposes and I'll even admit that there are a few manufacturers who attempt, and sometimes succeed in building a descent ride. To me the difference is the R3 has provided the most "bang for the buck".

I started riding in 1963 and before buying the Rocket in '05, I tried just about everything in the marketplace that was over 1000 cc. Honda was smooth running, Road Star had a good look, VTX was fast, BMW 1200 series were great for long distance riding and creature comfort, Victory had some good lines and HD's had too many bikes on the road that all looked alike.

It wasn't so much that I was looking for the Rocket as much as it found me. What I liked about it was:

1. Low CG
2. Liked the overall look
3. Great engine size and reliability
4. Easily ridden around town or highway
5. Price
6. Shaft drive
7. Not everybody had one
8. Too many more things to list here. You get my drift?

That's about it. I'm just preparing for the 3 inches of snow that KC should get by tomorrow. This global warming thing is freezing my &*%(.

Last edited:
Just keep three things in mind.....

+I have the slowest R3 and it's fast enough for me.:)

+If this foul weather keeps up, I'll have the lowest mileage R3 too.:(

+All of us (R3 Captains) are excersing our individuality in not riding something everyone else has.:D

These motorcycles are starting to resemble my snowmobiles, that is, they stay in storage for 6 months, riding season (or snowmobile season rolls around) and I get to use them 2 or three times and it's back in storage for another 6 months. That's why I sold the sleds. I don't want the same fate to befall the bikes too....Where is global warming?

Iblind2

Next time you tell your wife to hold on, tell her you really mean to hold on...since she "popped" off the back, I think you have already made a believer of her.
Dennis
30 dtg!

Solution

If you already sold the sleds, by the way when I liked in New York I loved ridding as a kid we all had our own. My fav was my step dads Rupp 440 nitro. But any ways back to the point, if you want more ridding time retire down here in Texas we only put our bikes up with just enough time to wash and wax them for the next season. :p So that gives you about two weeks to do somehting else.

Paul:

I had a couple of favorite sleds. I really liked my Arctic Cat 570 blower. It was an excellent trail sled but lacked top speed as all blowers do. You could get about 90 on hard pack but it was a hoot in the powder and had lots of low end. My other favorite was my 1000 Thundercat, piped jetted and clutched. It had 250 1" carbide drag picks in the track and would do 0-60 in 2 seconds flat with a top speed around 160. It was a great sled for open frozen lakes and fast straight trails but was too heavy for tight in stuff.

3 things about sleds are really negative. 1. They depreciate tremendously after you buy 'em, like 50% when you take them out the dealers door. 2. You really can't ride 'em on public roads unless there is a snow emergency, they are considered ORV's like a quad 3. 8 months of the year (unless you live in Alaska), they sit unused, collecting dust, getting old and taking up space.

I sold my last 2 and the trailer, put the money in the bank and forgot about the sleds. I still have the gear, helmets, gloves, boots, everything needed to ride and a bunch of my friends still have sleds and of course they all ask me if I'm getting another one. My answer is "I'll go with you and rent one for the weekend. I can run the bags off it and return it on Sunday" In the long run, that's a lot cheaper than ownership. No maintenance, no storage, no depreciation, no bs.

Back