suntosh

.020 Over
Ride
Rocket 3
The difference in price is hard for me to swallow. Is the newer R3 substantially better and worth the extra 10k I am having to spend on a barely used 2018.

There's no "right" answer to your question. I have a 2011 Roadster with Lush components and a 2020R. They're very different bikes and, therefore, I struggle to sell the Roadster. I see no advantage to getting a 2018 model IF you want to go the 2.3 route. There are lots of older (same, same) models (ABS being the major difference in later years) with low mileage to be had for $7,000 or less. But if money is no issue, then the question becomes what's the difference between the two bikes. The 2.3s have a more classic analogue feeling to them. They are less refined. Potentially equal in torque and power if you have upgrades, stop slower, and are less nimble. The 2.5s look and ride like a more modern bike, with lots of electronic "stuff" (stuff that I worry will go wrong and I won't be able to fix). Stop faster, corner better, and have less of a stealth factor. By that I mean most people don't know these bikes and if you pull up on a 2.3 in a group of bikes they will most likely be very surprised when you leave them in the dust. With the 2.5s it looks like it should perform that way. Finally, (maybe) the 2.3s have a lot of history on this site and a lot of wisdom for you to access. Mine has, knock, knock, never see a Triumph mechanic thanks to the combined wisdom of the old timers, for which I guess I am now one, on this site. The 2.5s are more of a mystery. We're still discussing different tires sizes, how to remove the tank, tunes, etc. Beyond that it's largely uncharted territory. I can say, having both, that either is a good choice. If you're into the twisties the 2.5 is probably the best choice. Into long cruises and the classic look (not to say they also don't do surprisingly well in the twisties, considering the extra weight) then the Roadster, Classic, or Touring model is your ride. Good luck with your decision....
IMG_1851.jpeg

Last edited:
I own both bikes. They are very different almost to the point if one is a real Rocket then the other must be something else. I’m not selling either one. The 2014 Lush built Roadster is a big sledgehammer of a scary machine and very low tech. No cruise control and only five gears fairing widely spaced. It’s a monster of power of 203 hp at the wheel. It is not very pretty to me, more of a power bike than a looker.
the TFC is super sharp looking and much more modern. It handles better and is deceptively quick with its six speed transmission and the quick shifter. It feels much lighter than it is and is the epitome of cool. It is not as comfortable to ride on a 300 mile day but the cruise control helps.

So the bottom line, is the new bike worth the extra money? Yes. It resales better and has more aesthetic appeal. I think it has a bit more fun factor. Is the older bike a poor machine? No. It is a beast of torque and looks it. They are down right cheap.

Good luck. You will enjoy either one.

I too have had both. For me the 2.3 was my baby!!...good to look at...went real well with triple k&n's on it and Jardine exhaust system...you can add fruit on it to make it your own and feel real good riding it!...Then there's the 2.5!...well. its a whole different level!...I can't make your mind up for you but for me...id'e go for the 2.3 ...you will love it and then down the track you will want the 2.5...or not...but you will never know if you dont try.

The 2.3s are cheap, you can get a 2012 and up for way less than 10k, i went looking at the 2.5s and could not convince myself to get one at 22k. They are starting to pop up on Cycle Trader for 18k with only 500 miles or less. Get the one that you wsill be happy with, the gurus above have explained the differences perfectly 😀

The 2.3s are cheap, you can get a 2012 and up for way less than 10k, i went looking at the 2.5s and could not convince myself to get one at 22k. They are starting to pop up on Cycle Trader for 18k with only 500 miles or less. Get the one that you wsill be happy with, the gurus above have explained the differences perfectly 😀
Thanks. So did you end up getting the 2.5 ;)

There's no "right" answer to your question. I have a 2011 Roadster with Lush components and a 2020R. They're very different bikes and, therefore, I struggle to sell the Roadster. I see no advantage to getting a 2018 model IF you want to go the 2.3 route. There are lots of older (same, same) models (ABS being the major difference in later years) with low mileage to be had for $7,000 or less. But if money is no issue, then the question becomes what's the difference between the two bikes. The 2.3s have a more classic analogue feeling to them. They are less refined. Potentially equal in torque and power if you have upgrades, stop slower, and are less nimble. The 2.5s look and ride like a more modern bike, with lots of electronic "stuff" (stuff that I worry will go wrong and I won't be able to fix). Stop faster, corner better, and have less of a stealth factor. By that I mean most people don't know these bikes and if you pull up on a 2.3 in a group of bikes they will most likely be very surprised when you leave them in the dust. With the 2.5s it looks like it should perform that way. Finally, (maybe) the 2.3s have a lot of history on this site and a lot of wisdom for you to access. Mine has, knock, knock, never see a Triumph mechanic thanks to the combined wisdom of the old timers, for which I guess I am now one, on this site. The 2.5s are more of a mystery. We're still discussing different tires sizes, how to remove the tank, tunes, etc. Beyond that it's largely uncharted territory. I can say, having both, that either is a good choice. If you're into the twisties the 2.5 is probably the best choice. Into long cruises and the classic look (not to say they also don't do surprisingly well in the twisties, considering the extra weight) then the Roadster, Classic, or Touring model is your ride. Good luck with your decision....
IMG_1851.jpeg
What a good looking family .

I was originally shopping for a used Roadster Touring until I tried out a new 3GT. Night and day difference to me between the models. The dealer had this '21GT that he offered down below $19K as he had plenty of new 2022's on the floor. Look for a dusty one.

Since we are talking upgrades here is what I found at Carpenter Racing : and NOW the question is A 2017 + 265 Carpenter eventually Vs new Rocket 3 GT

265+ Horsepower Package
The Ultimate Everyday Rider

This is our latest excercise with the Rocket III.
It is the ultimate in street performance while still being and everyday rider.
This package includes everything in the 240+ package plus:
• Updated clyinder head
• Large titanium DLC-coated vlaves
• Aluminum-Bronze valve seat inserts
• Larger intake cam with bored tappet holes and larger tappets
• Includes our exhaust system (choose Street Rod or Sidewinder, Polished or Plain Stainless Steel)

Drive-in, Drive-out
$10,400

Back