Rocket 3GT or new Goldwing bagger

Hi Agrad, I havent ridden a Goldwing but I love riding my Rocket 3 GT, on long trips, sure the fuel tank is limiting I only get around 250km to a Tank, but at my age, I need to stop frequently to stretch the legs and bladder anyways. I would love to have a heated seat in the Rocket and the key fob constantly going out of range is annoying. I would suggest you make sure the Traction control is turned on the Rocket when riding in the wet or it can get very exciting very quickly. The Triumph panniers are not very big but they come on and off very easy. The Triumph rack is next to useless, so pack light. I have had to have a warranty claim on the panniers as the Triumph logo fell off. Good luck which ever way you go.
Cheers
HB

I can’t believe I’m putting this in writing. I truly enjoy my 08 and 15 Rockets. Both are Touring models. The 08 has lots of add-ons. The 15 looks factory. Different rides but great long haul bikes. Riding long distances multiple days the 08 has been close to perfect. The new RT series just doesn’t ride as comfortable as the 1st generation. Looks fantastic, but I think it’s a cruiser not a Touring model. I’m 6’2” and carry 300 lbs.
The Goldwing series is made to be a true Tourist machine. Much more comfortable. Not much good for a daily rider around town, but that’s not what you were asking. And last the reliability issues. My Rockets haven’t left me stranded, but you take a chance riding Rockets long distances. Trying to find Triumph Dealers is always few and far between. Honda has dealers everywhere. I don’t see the new R3GT matching up to a GW with your parameters.

Sorry I’ve not been around for a few days, thanks for all the replies. I’ve been to nearest Triumph dealers. They only had two new Rocket 3 in the showroom, a GT and R both were the all black edition. They didn’t have any at all in the nice silver/red/black color scheme which I prefer.

There wasn’t any demo bikes (seems to be the norm these days) so the best I could do was to sit on the GT in the showroom. Just by sitting on it I could tell the bike is way better than I thought it would be. I found it extremely comfortable riding position and couldn’t believe how light it was compared to the heavy bikes I’ve become used to. Way lighter than a Goldwing. I wouldn’t say it was flickable, but very well balanced and low C of G. It felt really good.

I mentioned my concerns about the missing rear mudguard to the sales guy. He said there is no solution at the moment, this is the biggest issue with the bike but most Rocket owners don’t go out in the wet otherwise they end up with a filthy back and helmet and soaking wet puddle on the seat. He personally thought Triumph may possibly bring out an update/fix at some time, possibly even an option for better luggage, big windshield and a main stand. I hadn’t even noticed no main stand. I was surprised at his honesty though.

I asked if there was any under seat storage space to stow small waterproofs or tire repair kit, he said none at all but showed me the pannier bags, rear rack, tank bag, tail bag etc. These would all greatly improve storage but he said in all honesty he wouldn’t like to sell me this bike for touring. He said a Tiger 1200 would make a better tourer or all rounder, but they had none in. They’re too tall for me anyway.

I left without a demo ride and even more confused. The Rocket 3 feels great and looks fantastic but it’s very compromised. It seems it would make a great 2nd bike rather than a do-it-all everyday bike. Unfortunately I can only afford one and it must do everything (except off-road), everyday in all weathers. The Rocket 3 really tugs at the heart strings though. I could live with the poor mpg and small tank. I’ve even been trying to think of ways to fabricate a rear mudguard :)

Sorry I’ve not been around for a few days, thanks for all the replies. I’ve been to nearest Triumph dealers. They only had two new Rocket 3 in the showroom, a GT and R both were the all black edition. They didn’t have any at all in the nice silver/red/black color scheme which I prefer.

There wasn’t any demo bikes (seems to be the norm these days) so the best I could do was to sit on the GT in the showroom. Just by sitting on it I could tell the bike is way better than I thought it would be. I found it extremely comfortable riding position and couldn’t believe how light it was compared to the heavy bikes I’ve become used to. Way lighter than a Goldwing. I wouldn’t say it was flickable, but very well balanced and low C of G. It felt really good.

I mentioned my concerns about the missing rear mudguard to the sales guy. He said there is no solution at the moment, this is the biggest issue with the bike but most Rocket owners don’t go out in the wet otherwise they end up with a filthy back and helmet and soaking wet puddle on the seat. He personally thought Triumph may possibly bring out an update/fix at some time, possibly even an option for better luggage, big windshield and a main stand. I hadn’t even noticed no main stand. I was surprised at his honesty though.

I asked if there was any under seat storage space to stow small waterproofs or tire repair kit, he said none at all but showed me the pannier bags, rear rack, tank bag, tail bag etc. These would all greatly improve storage but he said in all honesty he wouldn’t like to sell me this bike for touring. He said a Tiger 1200 would make a better tourer or all rounder, but they had none in. They’re too tall for me anyway.

I left without a demo ride and even more confused. The Rocket 3 feels great and looks fantastic but it’s very compromised. It seems it would make a great 2nd bike rather than a do-it-all everyday bike. Unfortunately I can only afford one and it must do everything (except off-road), everyday in all weathers. The Rocket 3 really tugs at the heart strings though. I could live with the poor mpg and small tank. I’ve even been trying to think of ways to fabricate a rear mudguard :)
I believe there are guards available. Corbin, perhaps lamonster. It shouldn;t be rocket science to find something to fit. If that is the biggest issue,! get a rocket and solvet:) LOL. And there are luggage solutions too. Especially if you ride alone. Review the image gallery.

Unfortunately you've sort of boxed yourself in a corner, looking for the "swiss army knife" of motorcycles that you hope will do all things well. Inevitably you will make compromises that may leave you dissatisfied. The R3 is a Muscle Bike. Wishing it to be something it's not may lead to your dissatisfaction. Recommend that you do some serious soul searching to determine what you really are after. If you can own more than one bike, you'll have your cake and eat it too.

if you live for the adrenaline rush, The R3 is your bike. It WILL deliver.
If you're truly planning LONG distance rides for two weeks or more, think carefully. You may do that once on the R3 but unlikely to repeat. It just isn't designed for that, no matter what anyone here tells you. If you think you'll ride two up, scratch it off your list. With a chick constantly whining in your ear your joy of owning an R3 will dissipate fast. If you are planning to leave her home, and live stop light to stop light, it is the ride for you.

I've been lurking on this list as I'm itching to buy myself a birthday gift by the end of the year. I currently have a Hayabusa, VTX1800 and Goldwing in my stable. (The GW was for my bride who suddenly never rides-thanks DEAR!!). The busa has almost 40,000 miles on it and it's been all over the country on two week jaunts of 6,000 miles or more. Best sport tourer ever made. I get all the adrenaline I need from that bike but the VTX is no slouch. I will let you in on a little secret. People don't know that shifting the Wing (NO DCT for me thank you) at 4,000 rpm or higher and you'll unleash the beast you didn't know it was. The Wing is a screamer and handles like a heavy sport bike. Strongly recommend you ride one for a couple hours before ruling it out. Of course, it doesn't look like a muscle bike so there's that.

if you can only have one bike, don't take anyone's word for it. And don't buy anything without a serious demo ride. if a dealer won't give you the keys, WALK.
Someone here posted how much fun it is having people come over asking about his R3.

Try pulling into a gas station on your Hayabusa. The kids see the Kanji and start to come over, only to recoil in horror when I pull off my full face helmet and they see grandpa with a full head of white hair riding a busa! Now that's what I call FUN.

Last edited:
....don't buy anything without a serious demo ride. if a dealer won't give you the keys, WALK....

that exactly. I was able to test ride the bmw, the honda and the triumph before putting my money. I wasnt ready to give them 20k+ for a motorcycle I can only sit on. If the dealer wasnt offering that, I just moved to a different dealer. And I ride all 3 with my wife. She notice quickly my discomfort with the bmw in the performance department. she was ok in the back, but complaining of that box with the backrest that the technician said, its ok, its loose, its the way is suppose to be... the lag in the accelerator... normal... weird... when we went for the goldwing, really convincing and she was... I can see you dont feel like riding it, but performance was very good, solid bike... then the rocket... that were she was the most uncomfortable but after just 2 blocks she knew, that will be bike I will be buying.
but I agree, for long touring, the goldwing its a great bike

I do not think the GW and the RGT are close enough to compare head to head and then choose one. IMO the GT may stand for grand tourer but it is not a tourer like the GW is. The GW is a toad compared to the power and handling of the GT. The best performing bagger bike capable of touring is the Indian Challenger IMHO.

Reliability probably goes to the Honda. It’s smooth and full of touring features but it’s shy on style and the cool factor.

Based on your opening criteria I’d say the GW is the better for your stated purpose. Good luck.

My 2020 GT with Penners tune in it was magical...someone said these run out of go at 200 clicks well not mine...at 240 clicks it wanted to launch!...my angel said NO!...so i listened...As far as comfort goes its beautiful...i dont do panniers..just a Kreiga backpack with a 10l strapped on if needed...more than enough gear in there for a few days. ..I'm not a rider who likes to load up with gear and battle along...less is more for me so i can enjoy the bike.If im going to a destination which is miles away i will send my gear via courier and travel light.

Back