chromehead

.040 Over
Rivco foot boards (and foot boards in general)

So, I installed a set of Rivco footboards yesterday, hoping to get a bit more wiggle room for my size 14s. Mixed results. On the bright side, I got just what I wanted — more positions for my giant feet and a little more leg stretch. But I simply can't find a good place for the shift peg. At its stock position, there's just not enough room underneath for my foot. Moved one notch clockwise, it seems like instead of shifting up (from 10 o clock to 12 o clock) I'm shifting back (from 12 o clock to 1 o clock). Very awkward. Also, it seems that Rivco's boards are a bit short for a size 14 boot — perhaps Triumph's longer ones would be better? I realize that a heel-toe shifter could help, but the back end would confine those 14s a bit. Anybody in the same boat? Does the Rivco heel-toe give you more clearance for the foot without compromising the shift throw?

I'm thinking that the pegs may come back, and the boards may end up in the classifieds! (They are in the classifieds now!)

Thanks

Last edited:
I haven't installed my Triumph floorboards yet but maybe others can answer. What if you install Triumph's offering without installing the heal shifter (is that possible?). If you can do that and the shift angle feels good to you then you are in business.

Do you live close enough to another Rocket owner to do a test run first before you spend the money?

With the footboards that came on my Classic it would be nearly impossible to get a boot under the toe shifter. And the rocker is one piece so I don't think there would be much adjustment if at all. Maybe the accessory ones are different, I have noticed that they mount at more of a download slope as compared to the the factory installed sets.

The Triumph footboards are 12" x 4 1/2" if that helps.

With the footboards that came on my Classic it would be nearly impossible to get a boot under the toe shifter. And the rocker is one piece so I don't think there would be much adjustment if at all. Maybe the accessory ones are different, I have noticed that they mount at more of a download slope as compared to the the factory installed sets.

The Triumph footboards are 12" x 4 1/2" if that helps.

You can adjust the Triumph rocker with the blue point wrench very easily.:D

I sat on a Classic today and there was plenty of room under the heel-toe shifter for my size 14. Also, the Triumph boards are much longer than the Rivco boards, providing more room to place your feet.

Question: When you purchase the foot board kit from Triumph, is it the same foot board from the Classic or a similar one that mounts at a different angle? Same question for the heel-toe shifter — same as the Classic model or slightly different. And last, does it come with a brake pedal like the Classic or do you keep your stocker?

Thanks

Answers and questions.

I sat on a Classic today and there was plenty of room under the heel-toe shifter for my size 14. Also, the Triumph boards are much longer than the Rivco boards, providing more room to place your feet.

Question: When you purchase the foot board kit from Triumph, is it the same foot board from the Classic or a similar one that mounts at a different angle? Same question for the heel-toe shifter — same as the Classic model or slightly different. And last, does it come with a brake pedal like the Classic or do you keep your stocker?

Thanks

Those are all good questions. I looked at your classified ad for the stuff you have for sale and I went to the Rivco site and I noticed that the Rivco boards set level with the mounting bar whereas the Triumph boards are at an angle. Personally, the flat boards don't get it at all. I don't have 14's but 12's and I have plenty of room to move my slightly smaller clodhoppers around. I believe the Triumph floorboard kit is the same as the Classic as all the items on the Classic are add-on items from the catalog. I'm not sure if the brake pedal comes with the boards, or the heel and toe shifter but I'm sure, knowing Triumph, you can get both.

If you decide to sell your booty piecemeal, I'd be interested in the highway bar/foot peg mounts, but I don't need all the other stuff, I already have a Classic.

It's interesting that you aren't the only one who goes through what I term 'bling withdrawal'. I bought the tank bra, put it on and didn't like it at all. It was what I considered a poor fit and it moved around on the tank no matter how tight I secured it. I traded it with another Captain for the rubber block, which does what I need it to do, keep my belt buckle from scratching the tank. Granted the bra had a neat pocket for a cell phone but when I retired I turned in the company phone and I have no desire to get another. Not having 'big brother' in my pocket is nice.

Tomo stated a while back that he literally has shelves of stuff 'bling' that he has bought for his bikes over the years and subsequently took it off and put it on the shelf where it collects dust. You aren't alone by any means.:)

Flip,

There are high-resolution images at hermys.com. I put the Classic and standard side by side and noticed something very interesting — have a look at the attached. The models not only have different controls — pegs vs. footboards — but different rails on which those controls mount. The rails on the Classic are much lower than the standard. In order to replicate the Classic controls, I'd need to purchase the footboard kit as well as the engine rails... didn't realize that. Bet a lot of people didn't either, thinking that buying the foot boards would give them the same feel. The

(Anybody have a parts catalog/fiche?)

Yes, unfortunately this has happened with every bike I've owned. "My name is Joe, and I'm a chromoholic." It's fun at first, buying one accessory after another to make the bike your own. But then at some point, I find myself buying pieces, installing them, riding around the block, and immediately taking them off because it no longer looks or feels like "my" bike. Glad to hear I'm not alone. We should all band together and just pass the pieces around!

Speaking of which, I'd gladly break up the set. If you'd like highway bars/footpeg mounts, PM me with an offer and we'll make it happen.

Thanks

Here are the same pictures overlapped:

In a nutshell . . .

The Classic footboards are only slightly lower, about the thickness of the peg.
The Classic brake pedal is a bit more forward.
The Classic shift peg is further forward and lower than the standard.

It may be the extra stretch someone is looking for. Meanwhile, I'd love to see a comparable shot of the accessory footboard to see whether you pick up that same stretch.

I see.....

Chromehead:

You are right. The mounting bars, lets call them "towelracks"...They look similar to the towel rack in my motor home are different. In the Rivco website picture, their floorboards are mounted on the R3 Standard towel racks and the boards are level in relationship to the bike. That's a no-no. It puts your feet in an uncomfortable position. You could probably take the stock towel racks to a competent tube bender and have the re-bent to the Classic bend. You'd have to re-chrome them because the chrome is brittle and most likely elongate the mounting holes because you'd loose a little overall distance with the resultant bends. That shouldn't be a big deal however. A little die grinder work would solve that...before the re-chrome. I had to do a little die grinder work on my Rivco crash (oops, tip over) bars to get them to fit properly. The Triumph floorboard rubber inserts are viscous mounted, that is, they wiggle. A little wiggle is good, I guess.

The other alternative is to buy the complete assemblies. So long as you can re-coup most of your already spent green backs that would be a good choice too.

I'll send you a PM.

Back