Ride around Oahu Southern Loop

Claviger

Aspiring Student
Ride
'21 Z H2, '14 R3R, '02 Daytona 955i
I figured while I'm here, I'd get some video of the island riding. I normally don't ride as slow as in this movie through twisties, but, new tire + its wet + debris all over the road + handling feel is a lot different with the shorter tire, so I'm still adjusting.

Sorry, wind noise is terrible, its on the front of my helmet, I need to buy a fuzzy cover for the back door badly. I think the POV I want is going to require a chest rig, and the Helmet mount can look backwards.

Part 1:

Part 2:

Part 3:. Being a bit juvenile...meh.

Almost an off at 27:52, that was in gear, not neutral, BIG fishtail which the camera doesn't really catch well, but it was enough that I was already resigned to going down, somehow it didn't. Those tunnels are by far the most slick surface I have ever ridden, I just didn't expect it to be SOOOO slick.

Last edited:
Brand new Cobras. The tunnels are super slick because they never get cleaned and the roads outside are always wet, so the cars drag in just enough water to bring the oils up to the surface :/

At least they hooked back up smoothly, without a violent jolt.

New mic setup installed today, so sound should be MUCH better on next video.

Realize twas wet - when dry, let us know the downside (if any) of the lower rear.

Oh when it's dry, it's phenomenal, I'll throw up the 3rd vid I guess, there's a decreasing radius corner that I normally enter at 55 and roll on to exit at about 65, with the Metz tires. Today I dove in around 60 and came out somewhere around 75, all while holding a much better line. Give me a few to put it up and I'll PM you the link.

If I member right, you have not ran an Exedra Max but a GT - correct?

So I replaced the ME880 with an Excedra G852, 240/55/16 and right around the same time put on the longer Wilbers. Steering was fast but good,

Traction issues in dry, so switched to Cobra rear while having my 3 months worth of warranty work done. Steering was still good, but slower, I had forks springs done also, so their improved spring rates raised the front. That put me back close to stock trail in the front.

Replaced front me880 with the 140/75R17 Cobra. Steering is lighter, feels like the bike lost 200lb over night. It would be faster than many people would like I suspect. Overall bike suspension is +1/+1.5 inches higher front/rear and tires are -1.3/-0.3 inches in height, so overall the bike is -0.2/+1.2 ride height.

The best I can describe it is a Sportbike feel, but on the slower end of Sportbike steering, and undamped. It does little head shakes when shifting quickly like liter bikes do when the front end is light, but the trade off is mid corner inputs are much better. I think a fairly light damper might be just the ticket to steering nirvana now.

Back