This suspension business is a rabbit hole :) I'd recommend watching a few of Dave Moss YouTube vids, he sets up suspension and ergos such as levers and handlebars for people, i haven't watched one video yet where the guy/gal wasn't satisfied after his tweaks and recommendations. He is pretty good at explaining so even i *almost* understand.

I need to start playing with my suspension. I just feel like I don’t know enough about it to be effective. I do think the bike rides a bit firm.

You definitely want to watch Dave Moss. He explains every facet of the suspension system and not only walks people through it, but highlights the importance of setting up the bike (handlebars, levers, pegs, pedals, tire pressure, etc.) to your needs/circumstances. No one setting/number is universal. I’ve set my preload out nine clicks as well and it’s made a drastic improvement in my ride. I’ll be working to dial it in more once it’s back from first service.

I need to start playing with my suspension. I just feel like I don’t know enough about it to be effective. I do think the bike rides a bit firm.

I check rear suspension to set static SAG as describe by Dave Moss, Öhlins and Ask the Geek: Set Your Static Sag

All the data (bike alone, rider on the bike) were inside the recommended ones given for exemple by Öhlins
Bike alone: 1/4" to 1/2"
Biker + Bike : 1" 1/4 - 1" 1/2

Despite good measurement regarding the static SAG with my R3 GT, my back is unhappy after a 100 miles ride today. I am afraid that this shock absorber does not work for me as my back is very sensitive to small impacts from the road. I will try to get a saddle with a better foam.

I check rear suspension to set static SAG as describe by Dave Moss, Öhlins and Ask the Geek: Set Your Static Sag

All the data (bike alone, rider on the bike) were inside the recommended ones given for exemple by Öhlins
Bike alone: 1/4" to 1/2"
Biker + Bike : 1" 1/4 - 1" 1/2

Despite good measurement regarding the static SAG with my R3 GT, my back is unhappy after a 100 miles ride today. I am afraid that this shock absorber does not work for me as my back is very sensitive to small impacts from the road. I will try to get a saddle with a better foam.
Can you set the damping softer?

Think you will find the suspension is set on the very bottom setting from the factory. If you havnt adjusted it to suit your weight then it will be hard.
We adjusted my cobbers 'R' model suspension and the bike is 'Way' better now. There is a youtube video with a guy explaining what he suggests you try.
Maybe have a look at it and have a play.

I actually mailed Dave Moss, and for the benefit of y'all Rocketeers out there i take the liberty to post the conversation here:
"
Hi Dave!
I have watched some of your videos, both about suspension setup and ergonomics and you make a lot of sense.
Now, i wonder if you have tuned the suspension on a 2020 Triumph Rocket 3 R yet?
Onlly thing i've done, suspension-wise is turn preload up 9 clicks from minimum setting which feels better than stock. I also find the front fork feels like it is too "slow", if i hit three bumps in rapid succession, it absorbs the first one alright but then feels like a billy goat kid jumping around on stiff legs.
Do you think you could diagnose that "via remote" or have any tip on how to set up the bike?
Btw, i weigh around 95Kg's dressed up ready to go.
All the best, Lars"

"Hi Lars,
Yes, I have set up 4 so far. Adding preloads was correct and opening fork rebound is essential.
best,
Dave Moss"

I actually mailed Dave Moss, and for the benefit of y'all Rocketeers out there i take the liberty to post the conversation here:
"Hi Lars,
Yes, I have set up 4 so far. Adding preloads was correct and opening fork rebound is essential.
best,
Dave Moss"
Thank you for sharing Lars.
I tried to increase Preload 9 clicks as you did. My back is still suffering after 50 miles (US ones...). I will try a bit less preload
How much did you open fork rebound ?

Thank you for sharing Lars.
I tried to increase Preload 9 clicks as you did. My back is still suffering after 50 miles (US ones...). I will try a bit less preload
How much did you open fork rebound ?
Haven't had time to ride since Dave's reply but i think i will go 2 clicks/turns at the time and test ride in between.
Might be worth your while to loosen damping in the rear? Do you feel it's jarring over single or multiple bumps in a row or both? A long time ago i followed a suspension setup series in Motorcyclist magazine (as far as i remember) There they said it is important to find the balance where suspension absorbs a bump, but return fast enough to handle consecutive bumps. Too much rebound and the suspension "packs down" and takes the bumps before having returned to fully extended. Too little and you pogo stick your way around :)

Back