If you have the shocks at the softest setting that means there's precious little travel left when you sit on the bike. Take a bump, the shock bottoms and your teeth rattle. Th problem with the stock shocks was increasing the preload made the ride better 2 up but not so great solo. That's why a lot of folks went aftermarket (I have the Hagons). Sounds like you need to increase your preload so the shock has about 10 to 12mm of sag and then see if it's still so harsh. You'll need to set static sag even with new shocks, so use the old shocks to your advantage and see where the best settings are for preload (try 2 clicks first). If the ride is better keep adding one click until its too hard. After replaciment you can then set your preload properly and then worry about damping rates. My 2 cents. Good Luck

PS. Shock travel is only about 4.5" so if you have the setting at minimum preload, static sag takes up 3 inches of travel (if you are over 250 pounds). The "softer" i.e. less preload you have the less travel the shock has. Setting the preload so you attain "maximum" travel provides the best ride the shock is capable of. Had a buddy with a Vulcan said the bike was like riding a hardtail. We adjusted his preload tighter and he said it was like floating on air afterwards. Preload is your friend, my friend.

Last edited:
If you have the shocks at the softest setting that means there's precious little travel left when you sit on the bike. Take a bump, the shock bottoms and your teeth rattle. Th problem with the stock shocks was increasing the preload made the ride better 2 up but not so great solo. That's why a lot of folks went aftermarket (I have the Hagons). Sounds like you need to increase your preload so the shock has about 10 to 12mm of sag and then see if it's still so harsh. You'll need to set static sag even with new shocks, so use the old shocks to your advantage and see where the best settings are for preload (try 2 clicks first). If the ride is better keep adding one click until its too hard. After replaciment you can then set your preload properly and then worry about damping rates. My 2 cents. Good Luck

PS. Shock travel is only about 4.5" so if you have the setting at minimum preload, static sag takes up 3 inches of travel (if you are over 250 pounds). The "softer" i.e. less preload you have the less travel the shock has. Setting the preload so you attain "maximum" travel provides the best ride the shock is capable of. Had a buddy with a Vulcan said the bike was like riding a hardtail. We adjusted his preload tighter and he said it was like floating on air afterwards. Preload is your friend, my friend.
Excellent description!

This is like the eternal oil debate. All opinion with no evidence other than subjective BS! Riding for 60 years and 30 bikes, I've found Progressive 430's to be amazing on the R3. This, of course, is JMHO

Back