Rear Light Conversion

My main concern I think would be the heatsink - for constant running light (vs brake or turn applications) once the thermal mass of the heatsink is saturated (regardless of the medium used) there is nowhere for the heat to go enclosed inside the lamp
Schh - don't tell anybody but copper heat-pipes might be needed.

If you can arrange airflow then it's not as big an issue - BUT getting airflow inside a Triumph Indicator with no water ingress is tough.

Drill holes and insert hollow copper or other material tubes/straws/pipes so that they protrude at least 5mm or so externally and similar or more inside. These could be red plastic or even lengths of a clear crystal biro bic pen case etc. What ever floats your boat.
71normpweul._sl1500_.jpg

For rear facing ones this would allow water to run off the pipe end without entering the light casing while any slight moisture would be evaporated by the heat from the LED exiting through the tube. Side, top or bottom facing tube ends would also have a venturi effect when riding to keep water from entering or remove any that did while stationary. You could even angle all of them downwards so that water runs off when stationary and not into the tube at all.

No good angles on the back and the bike's apart for a re-repaint right now, but I ditched it entirely and went for an integrated run/turn/brake led strip along the bottom edge of the fender. Moved the plate onto the fender and got rid of all that crap hanging off the back for a way cleaner look.

Drill holes
Pete - FLOW not just breathing. A 10W LED left on all the time will need a biggish heat sink and in all probability forced ventilation OR heat pipes that pull the heat outside the casing. The lens has a breather built in - It's sneaky and well hidden.

To give some idea
This is a 10W LED designed for being left on to light up fish tanks.
10w2.png 10W1.jpg

2"*2" and 1" fan.

I am almost certainly going to need to make a custom heat-sink for the Tail LED. The Brake LEDS will be easier as they are generally not on for protracted periods of time.

Will see if I can find a heat-pipe from somewhere - I don't like the idea of a fan.

What are the 'heat-pipes'? Is that like a hollow tube attached to the LED heat sink that goes through a hole in the light's case or base to transfer heat to atmosphere.

Yup - straight off 12V - I tried with a specc'd 12V-1A driver but they got just as hot. We want LIGHT - I mean- LIGHT!

If you can arrange airflow then it's not as big an issue - BUT getting airflow inside a Triumph Indicator with no water ingress is tough. I have a load of PC-CPU heatsinks.

From the size of the heatsinks Audi uses - I doubt a PCB would take long to get hot and cause gating. And there's a shed load of room inside.

You guys are making my nipples hard!

Back