Rear Light Conversion

barbagris

Mad Scientist
Ride
1979 Guzzi V1000G5 - 2018 KTM 790 Duke
Thanks to @laraza I can attempt converting a rear light to LED as @1olbull wants.

So I have a question.

Has anybody ever seen the lens off at all. I am trying to work out if it is glued or has some clips as well?.

iirc @mexican had problems with the lens detaching.

Thanks to @laraza I can attempt converting a rear light to LED as @1olbull wants.
So I have a question.
Has anybody ever seen the lens off at all. I am trying to work out if it is glued or has some clips as well?.
iirc @mexican had problems with the lens detaching.

Do not know about the lens removal, Chris, but I am stoked that you are addressing this much needed improvement!
Gratitude!

Thumbs-Up.jpg

I would suspect it's like most lamp modules and the lens is glued on.
You need to melt the glue to get the lens off - there are various techniques - baking in a low temp oven (225F), immersing in near boiiing hot water or using a heat gun.

Here's an example - just watch the first 5 minutes which demonstrates using the oven

I didn't watch his whole video - but typically you could just heat it back up and press it together to re-install it using the same original glue

I had the lens off -- sorry, wish I had taken pics! No clips--just glue.

Not too difficult - immersed in boiling water for around 5min, then GENTLY pried off with a very small screwdriver.

Glue was left around the edges of both lens and base, so they wouldn't fit neatly back together. Trimmed all that off with careful use of Dremel and a semi-pointed grinding stone.

I'll post a pic of the huge oval led board I put in there :)

Big old-school LED boards that you can't get inside of the housing without taking it apart. VERY bright, but huge. The one I installed has 136 LED's.

Back