Rear Hypoid Oil

Hey Bigern2300

Be carfull of the Mobil 4t when buying it. It seams that they have Two types that meet diffrent specifications. I am out of town now and can't give you the right specification but I have seen Mobil 4T one that meets it and one that doesn't. The Mobil I get a Wal-Mart meets it, the one I looked at an outo store did not.
Matter "O" fact I am writing this in an office at a Mobil refinery waiting to do a start-up at the plant.

"Oils a'int Oils Sol"

A maxim used by castrol here downunder, and its good to have you guys come up with some ideas on what oils to use. I think the Aussie market is a little different. I have just done my first engine oil change on my R3 with 1500Km on the clock.

The best gear is Motul SAE 20W-50 it is 4T API SG CCMC MA rated, made in France. Sells at all the bike shops at about AUD$49 for 4Lts or 1.05U.S. Gallons.

However I used Shell Advance SX, which says it is "synthetic fortified"
The Spec says API Performance, SG What "Synthetic Fortified" means is anyones guess but it does not convince me that it is a synthetic oil. I have used both for some time, the Shell stuff is good, used it in my sports bikes for zonks but it is cheaper than Motul. It says it exceeds all Euro and US specs quoting Harley BMW and Aprilla, but it does not say Triumph. The bike shop, not a Triumph one, says "yes it meets Triumph specification". Mmmm. In the past I get to 5000Km and I change oil, it comes out real nice on other bikes, filter is relatively clean. The R3 book says 10,000 miles (16,000Km), I would never go that long, probably 3,125 miles or (5000Km) is a little overkill with oil changes but my last cicle (An XJR 1300Yammy) only did 22,500Km (14,000miles) in 5 years, when it traded on the R3.

A lot of discussion about the rear drive oil. Book says 20K miles or 32K Klms. Seems that you guys may be changing it out quicker. Any reason for that? As for comments about the heavy vehicles changing diff/box oils for full synthetic, I have no evidence that the mineral oils dont work as well but could this be oil co hype to extract more dollars. I still have a Euro Heavy vehicle (Scania) with an auto changer on a manual box. I had to go to a lighter grade that 90 - 140 for the auto changer to work when the oil was cold, this from Scania. We have high ambients here in Summer with cold but not severe winters for most of the country. The lower viscosity , 90 - 95 suited the box well. My opinion is that we are dealing with a standard type final drive and any good quality final drive oil should fit the bill.

That notwithstanding, I am not waiting until 32,000Km to do my final drive on the R3, It might get to 20,000Km if lucky, then we has a look at the oil.

I may mention that doing the first oil change, I had to drain it again as the "O" ring on the plug came out in bits, I was not sure what type of "O" ring to fit but the one from my kit has stopped the oil draining into the pan. The interesting part was all the crap that came out in that "oil flush" it was just lots of dirt or carbon particles that made me renew the oil. So I would be keen to hear if anyone else has had the same experience. The dealer said, We do the first change, yeh right, $250 later, i did a mechanical apprentiship as a kid and have been servicing turbine aircraft engines down to heavy machinery all my life, I do it myself thanks.

The R3 book says 10,000 miles (16,000Km), I would never go that long,...

...A lot of discussion about the rear drive oil. Book says 20K miles or 32K Klms. Seems that you guys may be changing it out quicker. Any reason for that?...

...That notwithstanding, I am not waiting until 32,000Km to do my final drive on the R3, It might get to 20,000Km if lucky, then we has a look at the oil...

...The interesting part was all the crap that came out in that "oil flush" it was just lots of dirt or carbon particles that made me renew the oil. So I would be keen to hear if anyone else has had the same experience...

If you go back and reread you own post, you answered your own question (in bold).

The problem is that oils have changed so much in the last decade... and not for the better. If you build performance or race engines (bike,car,boat,etc.), or talk to some who do, you will see a startling number of oil related failures that did not happen just a few years ago. The big failures today are cam related - wear on cam lobes and/or lifters/tappets/buckets. This is happening even on some of the high rpm performance factory engines as well. This says a lot about how much oils have changed. If you are going to increase the performance of your R3, it makes sense to learn as much as possible about what is required to increase the performance of the bike's lubricants as well.

Have you ever noticed how much difference some oils make to shifting? Ever noticed how some oils start out shifting great when new, but a few hundred miles/Km later, the shifting is clunky or notchy again?

The amount of carbon and metalic particles that wind up in the oil during break in is common, but break in (running in) technique is such a touchy subject on bike forums that mentioning it generally causes heated discussions. :rolleyes:

You might also check the amount of sand and casting crud in your coolant system - the block is die cast, but the head is not. A few heat cycles later, and you will find a good amount of debris has been released in the coolant...but that is another subject.

bevel oil

As we understand our Triumph dealer, hypoid additives are the key. Fully synthetic,75-90W,hypoid gear oil is what to use.I'm banking the statement "suitable for hypoid drives" covers it. They told us the exact oil recommended (Mobil 1 SHC) was not available from Triumph anyway. Other aditives like GL4,and GL5 ratings are for non-corrosiveness. I don't imagine tthat hurts. Our problem now seems to be finding the right allen wrench for the bevel fill plug. How do I look that up?

It should work just fine. I was in Autozone the other day and the RP and the Mobil were side-by-side. RP was like $15-16 whereas the Mobil was $8.99. I went with the Mobil.

I reuse mine several times before replacing. Maybe more than several times actually. When I do replace them, I go to my local independent auto parts jobber for them. He has bins of all kinds of different small hardware. The prices are usually under a buck.

I reuse mine several times before replacing. Maybe more than several times actually. When I do replace them, I go to my local independent auto parts jobber for them. He has bins of all kinds of different small hardware. The prices are usually under a buck.

I re-use mine too although I really don't have to (on my SUV) anymore because I got bags of them from the place mentioned above for next to nothing. I mentioned those sources not only for the crush washers but they have an amazing selection of other stuff - especially for cars - stuff that can be hard to find or would require ordering from a dealer and costing much more. The small stuff that's hard to find. Drain plugs, and thousands of other things. The first time I found the site (the first link above) and browsed it, I was amazed at all the stuff they have and I've been using them as a source ever since. For example, I needed some special fasteners to re-attach the deflector on the front of my SUV after replacing the timing belt, water pump, etc. I got the a bag of them from the first link above for about the price of one single fastener from the dealer and the dealer wouldn't get them in for a while. They're the same exact thing. They're great for having those small odd & end fasteners and parts that are hard to find. Sometime you might want to take a minute and browse the site and see what they have.

Last edited:
Back