Rear Hypoid Oil

Again, because the R3 has no auxilliary oil cooler in stock configuration, I'd go for at least 20-50. You are way more south than I am in Michigan and I run the 20-50 JASO-MA (SG) not only for the shear/viscosity degradation but because the engine inherently runs hot.

Triumph recommends pure synthetic for a reason and that is because there is under crown oilers inside the R3 engine. Petroleum based oils (like Rotella 15-40) begin to break down and start 'coking' at temperatures around 325 degrees (f), temperatures easily attained on the underside of the crowns during normal operations. Synthetic oils don't begin 'coking' until a much higher temperature is reached. That is probably why Triumph specs a pure synthetic besides viscosity/shear degradation.

Design engineers don't spend a lot of time studying engine dynamics and oil compatability for nothing and I don't ever try to second guess their good intentions.

Gear lubes

Gear lubes are different beasties than engine oils.

First off, they are measured and rated completely different. And many don't realize that a 75w/90 gear lube is the SAME WEIGHT as a 15w/40 engine oil. Heavier weights do not necesarily protect better, but they do tend to protect LONGER, as shear takes it toll on lighter weight oils and lubes.

GL-4/GL-5 relates to the amount of crush, shear, and wear protection, as well as anti-foaming properties - not necesarily the amount of additives. In fact, there are 15w/40 engine oils with GL-4/5 ratings that are great in bike use.

Oils and lubes seem to be a personal choice, rather then based on real world testing. So I suggest running whatever you want. However, I used to race boats, and I cannot think of a worse environment for gear lubes - LONG periods at high (WOT) rpm and much higher loads than any bike or car due to the aero- and hydro- induced drag.... so feel free to take this as what it is worth - .02 (corrected for inflation and the low Dollar). After personally witnessing the results of many different gear lubes in the form of friction reduction, wear protection, and life of the lube and the parts, I will run only two different gear lubes in my cars, boats, and (finally) a shaft driven bike.

1.) AliSyn ProGear 21, Type 3 (75w/90) http://aerospacelubricants.thomasne...51?&plpver=10&origin=advsrch&by=prod&filter=0
2.) Amsoil Severe Gear 75w/90 EP http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/svg.aspx

I also suggest using the Lucas Synthetic oil stabilizer - the results can be seen when the gears are inspected over time. http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=49&catid=2&loc=show

If you want to compare oils and lubes, I recommend reading up on the Falex wear tests and your prefered oil/lube's Falex test results.

Again, the greatest freedom we have... is making our own decisions.

Last edited:
And our greatest assets are knowledge, and the ability to acquire and share it. What a pleasure to be on a Forum containing more knowledge than puerility.

WT, boat racing sounds quite old school... if one reads the tide correctly. :)

I appreciate the education. I've got a Qt of the Mobil 75W-140 (since it was readily avaiable) and now I'll use it with confidence. I just wonder why Triumph specifies something Mobil doesn't seem to make... straight Mobil 95W.

Maybe it's a Brit thing? :D

It is kinda like Harley saying you need to use their SynTec oil........it's called Marketing for max profit.:cool:

The Mobil 1 Racing 4t 10W/40 (the oil that I saw in quart size at AutoZone) is one of the recommended oils in the Triumph service manual.
My concern is not with the quality of the oil (the racing 4t 10W/40) but whether the lighter oil is really meant for cooler climates. NC is sorta on the border line but I suspect on those real hot days the 15W/50 is a better choice.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
At Autozone, if you look right next to the Mobile 1 10w/40, there should be quarts of Mobile 1 20w/50 for "V-twins". It has the same exact ratings as the 10w/40, it's just marketed for the harley crowd. I'd rather go up one point in oil viscosity than go down two, escpecially in hot weather. Bigern

Last edited:
I think a few here are confused by some of the terms used in oil jargon. The following it a cut and paste from one of my posts on another forum. Take it as you will.

Use what ever oil you want. If you follow the manufacturer's recommendations, or not is up to you. Big boy rules are in effect.
However, do yourself a favor and become INFORMED.

Basics:
Oil weight (viscosity) - The 40 in a "5w-40" weight oil is the main operating weight of a given oil and determines how well the oil will flow between bearings and tight clearances under operating conditions measured at 212° F. You want to run the lowest weight that will give you the required oil pressure at operating conditions. In all reality this has nothing to do with the protection available from a given oil, only the film viscosity - particularly the film that the bearings run on when spinning, and the film between other moving parts. A lighter weight oil can reduce the power required to drive the oil pump and other parts slightly, while decreasing windage in the engine, but at the cost of reduced life compared to a heavier weight oil of the same brand and type - but not always, some thin oils protect much better than much heavier oils. And an oil that may start out as a 5w-40 may eventually break down to a 30 weight oil in several thousand miles.

Multi-viscosity - How well the oil flows cold and hot. In multi-grade oils, the first number (5w in 5w-40) is measured at 32° F ("w-" stands for winter), and relates to how well the oil flows through the engine at start up until the engine becomes warm - as well as how well it drains back off parts and into the oil pan when cold. The difference between a 5w and a 10w is not as large as many would have you believe, and for those who never start their car below 30° F due to local weather or the car being stored in a garage, it is irrelevent other than how quickly the viscosity modifiers may break down in an oil with a wider viscosity range. The trend towards lighter and lighter multi-grade oils by manufacturers is generally an issue of mileage and emissions, not clearances and protection.

Viscosity modifiers are generally coiled, branch chain molecules that look like a spring that winds and unwinds as the oil warms and cools. In many cases, oils with wide viscosity ranges use large amounts of viscosity modifiers that shear (break down) during use - sometimes rather quickly. Some of these modifiers can build up on the sides of the pistons, rings, and on other hot parts inside the engine to the point of reducing oil flow to parts of the engine - not a good thing. This is a case where if you do not need low viscosity at low temperatures, you may be better served not to use an oil with a large viscosity range. In the summer, or if you use a pre-oiler, you will likely be better served with a 10w- or 15w-40 oil with a narrower viscosity range. Match the oil's weight to the use and needs of the engine.

On engines with variable valve technology where the oil pressure is used to control the cam timing and/or a secondary set of cam lobes, the viscosity and lubricity (and the oil's durability) can make a difference in how the engine performs and the engine's oil pressure when running. This is especially important in engines with hydraulic lifters/tappets.

Synthetic: This no longer means what it used to. A couple of years ago, Mobile (the manufacturer of most synthetic base stocks) sued Castrol for using the term synthetic on some of their oils using a mineral oil base stock with a highly modified additive package. A judge ruled in Castrol's favor, so now an oil can be called "synthetic" even if it does not have a synthetic base stock. Castrol's Syntec and Shell's Rotella synthetic are two of these "synthetic" mineral base oils - among many.

A given oil's ability to protect parts can be seen in the four ball wear test: Three ½ inch diameter steel balls are clamped together and covered with the test lubricant. A fourth ½ inch diameter steel ball is pressed into the cavity formed by the three clamped balls for three point contact, and rotated for a set duration. Lubricants are compared using the average size of the scar diameters worn on the three lower clamped balls. Not all four-ball wear tests (ASTM D4172) are the same, but this is a very good indication of how the oil protects under use. There are several specs for ASTM D4172 that can be run at several speeds from 800 rpm to 3600 rpm (or even a variable speed test) but generally the specs are - speed: 1200 rpm, load: 40kg, time: 60 min. Different speeds can result in different wear amounts.

I would mention the Falex pin and block test, other than many manufacturers do not publish this data.

Gear lubes: These are measured under completely different specs than engine oils. In fact, a 75w-90 weight gear lube is the same weight as many 10w-40 or 15w-40 engine oils. GL4 and GL5 refer to the high pressure, anti-wear properties of the oil. A GL5 lube has better high load wear protection than GL4 - sometimes this is done by increasing the amount of specific additives, but not always. Generally speaking, a gear lube has less tendency to foam, higher crush strength, and better high pressure anti-wear properties than an engine oil, however, there are several 10w-40 and 15w-40 engine oils that also have GL4 or GL5 ratings.

Oil analysis: This is a great way to check if the oil you are using meets the needs of the engine and the way you are using it. Combined with an occasional cutting open and inspecting of the oil filter's media, this is the best information you will get short of an engine tear-down and inspection.

On the subject of motorcycle specific oils in motorcycles, not all are the same, and a wet clutch is not as important as the oil's ability to offer gear protection without breaking down quickly.

Do your own research, and make your own decisions. But watch where you get your information, forums and manufacturers may not be the best sources. Please feel free to add input and corrections, I am wrong more often than I am right.

Wow

"And our greatest assets are knowledge, and the ability to acquire and share it. What a pleasure to be on a Forum containing more knowledge than puerility."

H,
The technical info on here is enlightening, sometimes to the point of bafflement to me. This thread being a prime example. I enjoy reading posts I barely understand, but there's a time and a place for puerility. Each to his own. It would be a dull old world if we were all the same.

Being a knuckle head who is addicted to adrenalin, I just want to scare myself ****less and endeavour not to blow my bike up in the process.

I have no idea which oil is in my bike, but I know that, come August, I'm doing the "Run What Ya Brung" at the HA's Bulldog Bash and if I don't beat last year's time I'm going to hang my head in shame.

Since this is the home of attention to detail, it would be remiss of me not to point out that you began a sentence with the word "and", which really isn't the done thing. :)

After reading the Falex reports, I returned the Mobil Lube and bought the AliSyn ProGear from Aerospace lubricants. It's actually less expensive per Qt., and only a few dollars more with shipping... arrived in 3 days.

Thanks for the link and all the great info!

I've run Mobil 1 in my boats and race cars as well as my motorcycles and street cars for many years. I used Kendall racing befor purchasing my Corvette in 1994. It came from GM with Mobil 1 and that's what got me to start using it. My wife's El Dorado came with Mobil 1 as well. I ran a 1200 HP lake boat for years with Mobil 1 and never saw any wear on take downs and I ran that boat HARD! :D I was impressed to read in the manual my Triumph R3 came with Mobil 1 Racing 4T!

Back