Ran out of gas today

SteveG

.020 Over
My new RIII, 1400 miles. I ran out of gas this morning after only 117 miles of driving on what I assumed to be a full tank. Of course, I'm still waiting on Triumph to approve a new tank float part to correct the famous fuel light /guage problem.

I managed to limp to a gas station and the tank took only 4.6 gallons. So either a) the CA Bureau of Weights & Measures miscalibrated the gas pump; b) the tank was not really full when I thought so at last fill-up; c) I didn't really fill the tank this time, even though it appeared that gas was at the lip, or d) my tank doesn't really hold 6.6 gallons.

Or what else??

Does anyone have a similar experience or any ideas?

I would get gas every 50-60 miles for 2 or 3 tanks and do the math according to how much gas you put in so you can determine your fuel consumption in MPG.

My tank takes something like 6.2 gallons from near empty.

I forgot to say when touring around I get ~34mpg. I think anything between 30mpg and 38mpg is normal depending on how harsh you are with your right wrist.

I seem to be getting about 35 mpg. What is annoying me is that I don't think I'm filling the tank up all the way, but I can't tell by peering down into it. It looks full. The level appears to be near or at the top of the inner lip. But according to the pump readout and the tank's advertised capacity, I should be able to squeeze another 1 1/2 gallons in there.

My gas filling technique must be pretty bad. I remembered a little while ago that I used to pull back the rubber "accordian" sleeve on the nozzle to prevent it from refusing to pump. There's some kind of vacuum valve in there. I haven't had a bike for 20 years, so I forgot this.

Hi SteveG,running out of gas is a pain for sure,and it has been a while since I filled a bike up in Ca. but remember those dang nozzle covers and did the same thing by pulling the retched thing back to see in and,fool it, to get the tank full.Once you get to the inner lip there is room for more but takes fidling with it and you can get more in it.I've found a few places around here that stand the bike up close to level to get more in but still get the same milage when the light comes on so may be an act of futility.

I fill the tank up until the "sink strainer" is covered with gas.

I have gone 180 miles between fill ups. I figure 200 miles is dead dry and will be time to start walking.

I once ran out at a freeway exit with no gas station. There was a campground store so I bought a gallon of Coleman fuel and put a quart in the tank. That got me a couple miles into town where the gas station was.

Would it be possible to have some gas trapped on one side of the tank that the electric fuel pump can't reach with the fuel pickup? It seems to me that twords the rear of the gas tank it is pretty flat on the bottom of it and I would think the fuel would slosh over there, but I've never had the bottom of the tank off to get to the fuel pump so I don't really know...:confused:

I usually fill up at 180 miles and have about 1 gallon left. I have run out at 200, but I had been running hard and tried to push it to the next town. I managed to coast into a station.:p

I used to get 40 mpg before I took off the cat-box and re-mapped it with Tuneboy, now I get 35.

Back