Ran out of gas today

How in the world is anyone getting over 30 miles to the gallon? I have 21,000 miles on my RIII and the best I have ever gotten is 25 miles to the gallon. And that isn't due to my "rocket right wrist" since I have been getting 9,000 miles out of a rear tire!!!:confused:

How in the world is anyone getting over 30 miles to the gallon? I have 21,000 miles on my RIII and the best I have ever gotten is 25 miles to the gallon. And that isn't due to my "rocket right wrist" since I have been getting 9,000 miles out of a rear tire!!!:confused:

When you post to a thread you need to check the date in the left hand corner.......

I'm still getting 40.55 mpg. Actually, right now I'm getting unlimited mileage. The bike is tucked away in the shop for old man winter unless we get a warm spell.

Hi Flip!! I did check the post date in the left hand corner--but I figured, "What the hell, someone might respond...." And guess what? Anyhow, I just recently found this site and signed up. Before that, I was always out riding my Rocket and couldn't be bothered to find a website and sit in my house and pound out things on my keyboard. Much too busy riding. But about 3 months ago, my Rocketbecame undriveable--so guess what I'm doing now??!

'Da whole nine yards......

Hi Flip!! I did check the post date in the left hand corner--but I figured, "What the hell, someone might respond...." And guess what? Anyhow, I just recently found this site and signed up. Before that, I was always out riding my Rocket and couldn't be bothered to find a website and sit in my house and pound out things on my keyboard. Much too busy riding. But about 3 months ago, my Rocketbecame undriveable--so guess what I'm doing now??!

Not a problem. We've discussed about to death, fuel mileage and it seems to be the trend, if you will, that the more you modify the engine and intake, the poorer your mileage becomes which, is just the opposite of my Bonnie and opposite of a cage. Put a K&N pea gravel excluder on your car and the mileage and power improves. Run a pipe through the cat and blow the substrate out the tail pipe and the mileage and power improves. Either this engine is real fickle or Satan lives in the computer because every modification you do to it it rewards you with less fuel mileage. My Classic is completely stock with a cat box and litter, stock motor boat mufflers, stock air filter secondaries intact and yep, my manifold glows dull red. I have very little decel popping, actually less than my Bonnie with custom headers, port and polish, bored carbs and straight through peashooters and no AI. It's only been to the dealer once at 500 miles and it ain't going back. No upgrade tune for me. I can do my own valves and tune ups. One thing I know for sure is that my bike was never loaded with the stock Classic 120 mph tune. I go by 120 real fast. Seems as though the bikes are all shipped with no intelligence and the dealer loads the tune during initial setup. That about covers it. Other than an occasional 12 minute spank it runs great, gets consistently 40 or better on regular unleaded, burns no oil and uses no water. I do have 6K on the back tire and it still looks like new. I'm figuring 10-12 or dry rot, whichever comes first and then to a dark side anyway. I better add, I use NAPA oil filters and Amsoil 20-50 V-Twin JASO-MA spec oil, I have 4 ounces of DCA-4 additive in the antifreeze, Shell synthetic 85-140 GL5 gear lube in the bevel box and I wax my bike with Honda Pro Polish and keep the engine looking satin black with a paintbrush and G.E. High pressure silicone.

Forgot....I have a set of my own Flipmeister Billet Stainless Brake Line Clamps on the front fender replacing those cheap looking plastic saddles.

Last edited:
Hi Flip----Except for the cat-on bypass, my Rocket is bone stock. Any time someone suggests this or that "hot rod item" for more power, my response has been, "What in the world do I need more power for?" I'm putting the cat-con back on soon so I will be back up to 25 mpg. I've been using premium unleaded, which in this part of California is $3.65/gal......so a few more miles per gallon would be nice......

Wow, $3.65 and climbing I'm sure.......Do you have those anti-vapor filler nozzles out there that I've heard about but never seen?

If I'm not mistaken, your gasoline is formulated differently than in other states. Isn't your gasoline 'oxygenated' or something like that? Maybe that contributes to your less than stellar fuel mileage. Besides that, you have (I believe) an evap cannister too?

Back