Tripping Down Memory Lane

Bought my first VW while in the Army stationed in Germany. Paid $200 for a 1949 split rear window with a heater that never worked and no gas gauge. You drove until the engine started to sputter then turned the lever to access the reserve tank. It didn't matter, it was mine, paid for and got me around Germany just fine. I will admit it's the only car I've ever owned that I used the ice scraper on the inside of the windows.

Sidenote: I was married, and serving in Germany from 66-69. In '67 I bought a brand new VW1500 for $1,500 and that even included a roll back sun roof. My wife and I decided we were taking leave and going to Africa to experience a photographic safari. I wrote my mother (because we didn't have the internet then) and told her of our planned adventure. She wrote back and said, " Please, whatever you do, don't take your VW to Africa. Elephants want to screw everything with a trunk in the front".

That was the day I realized my Irish mother had accepted me as an adult!

More memory lane...

I released my libido on more than one ocassion in the back of my Beetle and in the Micro Bus. I remember that with the back seat folded down and strapped flat you could really get it on back there but not without some consequences. The rough pile carpeting on the back shelf and the seat back was absolute hell on your knee's. I had raw kneecaps more than once.:D I imagine a few of my ladyfriends had raw butts too.

The MicroBus was much better. I had a mattress in the back.

No, my wife didn't see this post.:)

I read the article about Jesse James and his Radial Hell chopper, and they say the reason they leak oil is because the engines have a lot of flex to them because they are built so light to save weight. The article also said that the big radial engined bombers back in the day were know to lose 40 or more quarts of oil on a bombing run. Bigern

Back