I had a VW rail with a Spyder 150hp Corvair engine. A tire burner for sure. Weight with my skinny ass (decades year ago) loaded was 850. Smoked everything in St.Pete FL, then; except the newest 750 Hondas.

It's Viton seals not vitron. Vitron sounds like some kind of vitamin supplement.

You always replaced the push rod tubes on VW's and 'Vairs with new ones. I never saw anybody lengthen the tubes and reinstall them without them leaking.

Years and years ago I had a Meyers Manx with a 180 horse turbocharged Corvair. First gear was an immediate wheelie. I also had a VW Micro Bus with a 110 horse Corvair. One of those vehicles I wish I had today. It had a Stewart Warner gas fired heater in the back. VW's were noted for poor heat but the SW would roast you out.

I built a lot of VW engines. They were easy to hop up. Just like working on a Briggs and Stratton with more cylinders. Covairs were a little more complex. Nader ruined the Corvair. How stupid. The Spyders were way ahead of their time in both performance and handling.

Great memories.

Pig:

That's me, minus the funky paint. I had hair down to my belt in a long ponytail, wore Rayban aviator shades and did good drugs. Normal attire was really raggy jeans and a tie dyed Tee shirt with sandals or funky rubber thongs.

Good grief. That was a long time ago. Took a lot of good trips in the Micro Bus and really never went anywhere.:D

Honestly, I've never regretted one minute of it either. Sometimes though, I wonder how many kids I have that I don't know about.

By the way, I was at the original Woodstock.

It's amazing how, when reading through a thread like this, memories come flooding back. I thank you all for that. Sincerely.

Hippy

Yea Fliper this one had an 1835 in the rear and 327 in front.All newer bugs had air bags. Dam 1835cc was considered a big engine in a bug now the Rocket, 2300cc in a bike. How times change. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels:

He's got the Jack........

The one thing I remember vividly about the Bug, the Karman Ghia and the bus was the windshield washers. Remember, they ran off the spare tire. Simple but effective. The only car that frosted the INSIDE of the windshield on cold mornings.

I had a '59 Beetle with a 36 horse screamer canvas sunroof and horsehair upholstery. I had a Ghia too. VW's sportscar, butt ugly. Thye MicroBus was the best. Bedroom, smoking room, bordello on wheels and that sucker went through snow like a 4wd.

I like the valvecovers and the Wieland (or is it an Edlebrock with the double pumpers) perched on a carpeted shelf. The Empi spoked wheels are great. Does the air bag refer to the owner?:D

Flip

Yup, thats me old air bag.The carbs are two webers that I wish I haden't let go with the car.Could of adapted the air cleaners to spike somehow. Cheak out a couple bug sites and see what that 59 is worth now.Sign between rocker covers says,(wow I could of had a v8) Fun car.. JD>

My first was a '59 w/ 36hp butt ugly tri-color primer paint job, or lack thereof. No passenger seat and no back on the rear seat. I squeezed 13 hi-school kids into it for a ride home from the roller rink. Barely had enough ground clearance to make it over the RxR tracks.

My first hobby was tearing down and rebuilding VWs. Swapped bodies, engines, and rebuilt/horsed up many engines with the huge supply of spare parts. I never installed "new" p-rod tubes unless they were damaged. I never had oil leaks.

Reversed the drive direction on a bus transaxle and adapted it to the Spyder engine. There was too much torque to start off in 1st; the clutch slippage chatter, with 1st, would jar your tooth fillings loose. Also, never had oil leaks of the 'Vair either.

Back