Radial engines and bicycles - who would be interested in that?

I want one !

Agree with Wright Patterson Air Force Base, and another good option is the Udvar-Hazy Annex at Dulles Airport outside Washington, D.C..

As one engineer once told me: every advance in aviation was made possible by an advance in propulsion.

if u like these kinds of motors then a bucket list item is the wright-patterson afb museum near dayton, oh... i spent a whole day just looking at the engines... the stuff that they came up with to get another mph out of planes is just incredible (old fighter pilot saw is that faster beats gooder just about every time)...

Pete, funny you mention - I spent about 12 years in my early 20's to mid 30's working at a Pratt & Whitney engine overhaul company - I've buit 100's of R-985's & R-1340's - I knew every nut, bolt & twist of saftey wire on them baby's!

R-985:

42PrattWhitneyR985WaspJunior.jpg

R-1340:

23869d1369439145-pratt-whitney-wasp-1340-1-8th-5-jpg

I would happily hang either of those engines on my wall as art :cool:

if u like these kinds of motors then a bucket list item is the wright-patterson afb museum near dayton, oh... i spent a whole day just looking at the engines... the stuff that they came up with to get another mph out of planes is just incredible (old fighter pilot saw is that faster beats gooder just about every time)...

Dan talked me into going with him, I kinda just went along for the ride. It turned out to be fascinating, could have done a second day we may go back.

Back