R3R wheel and tire on a R3T

I never ceased to be amazed at the mileage you Guys are complaining about.
If I get 5K miles I'm real happy.
How far is a full round trip of NZ? If I ever get to do my Romanian trip - I will be doing the best part of 7000kms just going there and back.
Plus whatever I do there. Estimated 2-3000kms. The thought of having to order and wait for a tyre in some backwater does NOT appeal to me. I would be happiest if I knew I'd get 12000kms out of a set. The bugger is also that with trips of this sort you NEED to have grippy rubber in the wet.

I have a mate with a Guzzi Cali1400. He does not use his bike weekly but does do big trips twice a year and usually with his son on the back. He's changing tyres way before they wear but just because they will not do a full trip.

I am looking for load capacity over mileage.
Be cautious. Load ratings are seriously affected if you exceed speed ratings. And the R3 is struggling on V rated rubber because of the torque it chucks out. The issue is really heat in the rubber. tbh I believe the R3 in warmer climates should be on Z(W) rated rubber.

There is always the DarkSide. You'll get better load ratings and also decent speed ratings.

Mike looking like your plan is working congrats! I'll stick with my Commander ll's as we are both larger also and have a tour-pack mounted and no problems.

well its about 1400 kms from the top to the bottom with the cook strait in between.....ferries run at regular intervals daily.
So about what is is from me to the Normandy coast, whence ferry to UK. Barely a holiday commute - ask @laraza - I take the short-cut usually (I get bored easily) - and take the 24H ferry. Mainly to avoid driving in France. And close in distance to the trip from Innsbruck in Austria to my mum's - Done that in a day. Not even worthy of an IronButt medal!.

Islands reduce horizons a bit. It's still something I muse on when I am in the UK.
The distances my dear old dad would have made only after consulting the AA are "next door" here.
That said I'd arrive "next door" faster here - bloody UK traffic.

Doing this sort of trip a 8000km tyre limit is, well, limiting.

We have , on occasions, done what we call "around the block". It involves doing a circuit from Christchurch,(here in Canterbury its hot and dry plains being the East coast of the main divide) up thru the Lewis Pass, down thru the Rahu Saddle to Reefton on the west Coast where the whole world has changed in the form of Native bush,streams,fresh air and beauty ....lunch there and on down the Island, thru Moana and alonside lakes thru to the Arthurs Pass...Native bush, rivers high mountainous country, back onto the Canterbury side now nd home. It's around 800 kms and a great days ride. Usually leave around 8.00am and home about 5.00-5.30pm.

Attachments

• original_c1cc488d58870fca2796718a2e669958.jpg
    original_c1cc488d58870fca2796718a2e669958.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 16294747329_f2aace3abe_b.jpg
    16294747329_f2aace3abe_b.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 1515730693819.jpg
    1515730693819.jpg