Pure Gas vs. Gas with Ethanol

Steele Rocket

.040 Over
Ride
2013 Triumph R3T, 2013 Honda NC700X, 1992 Honda Shadow 1100
I saw a post where someone stated they got to run pure gas in their Rocket and the mileage for a tank went from around 197 up to 224.

So my question is:

How many countries/states have access to pure gas and how many either have access to both or the gas mixed with ethanol?

Here in north-central Pennsylvania all we have access to is gas with 10% ethanol.

Calling Ray Jay and all the Aussie Captains - what is the fuel like in your areas and what type of prices are you paying right now?

Locally we are up to $3.99(USD)/gallon for 87 octane.

Let me know!

God bless!!

Michael

Have you looked at pure-gas.org?

It lists all ethanol free stations and thanks for the mileage increase tip. Gonna try it next time I fill up the beast.

Some of the Conoco stations up here (Washington State) have ethanol free fuel, 89 octane for about the same price you have.

just to make other captains feel good in North america

in france and probably all over europe a gallon of of gas is approximately $12 ..
make you think twice over there to buy big engined bike!!

just to make other captains feel good in North america

in france and probably all over europe a gallon of of gas is approximately $12 ..
make you think twice over there to buy big engined bike!!

It's actually humbling. From an economic standpoint, I'm probably lower middle class and every single weekend (with rare exceptions) I take the misses out on the Rocket and we'll probably burn through a tank of gas and I can't imagine being able to do that paying $12 per gallon when I just paid $3.69 a couple of days ago.

At least you guys have health care...

Pure gas here in Syracuse NY....Right now only 91 octane...and only a couple gas companies offer it.......the rest is 10% ethanol....we also have a Sunoco ethanol plant in the area as well. I can do with out the 10% addition.....its crap and doesnt do anything but bring the price of gas up.......$3.99 for a gallon of 87 octane

mutt

You might be luckier to find non ethanol gas stations around lakes. Boaters need to run non ethanol. I have to travel about 3 miles to get non ethanol gas at a gas station just right above a boat landing. I go there to get not ethanol to run in my lawn mower and weed eater as well.

I'm just curious what gas with ethanol is doing to our engines and injectors? Should we be mixing or adding something in our tanks when we fill up? If so how often do you need to mix something to our gas that has ethanol in it?

You don't want to store your bike (for some time) with ethanol containing fuel.
The alcohol scavenges moisture and you can have rusting in your tank and corrosion in your fuel system because of the water content. This also goes for lawn equipment.
If you must store your equipment with this type of fuel, make sure the tank is full, less chance of moisture in the air = less air.

Internal combustion engine aircraft do not want ethanol containg fuel because of the same problem (water accumulating in the fuel tanks). And also there is much higher chance of carburetor icing, which leads to an engine out...not good!
I know aircraft engines need low lead fuel but some small planes have a special certificate for mogas instead of avgas. And some light aircraft use Rotax and the like engines, some home builts use VW boxer motors

I can't remember the term right now, But a gallon of non ethanol fuel has more calories/btu's? than a gallon of the same octain ethanol containing fuel. That is why you can expect more miles traveled to the gallon of fuel...more bang for the buck.

Back