Prototype Performance cams for the Rocket.

RICHARD ALBANS

Powerfulone
Ride
Supercharged 2020 Rocket 3.
I've now got the reground cams back from my cam company. We running about 0.7mm more lift and increased duration. We are just finishing up re shimming the last two valves and will be re assembling tomorrow. We have had to jig up and grind a little off the valve lifter mechanism on the exhaust cams, also custom grind a set of over size shims to take up the clearance caused by the regrind. So watch this space for the change in performance.
IMG_1226.JPG
IMG_1224.JPG
IMG_1227.JPG
IMG_1225.JPG

Ok Dyno results are in. So we set the cams at reasonable lobe centres. 108/108. The cams were base circle ground so we were limited to 0.7mm more lift and more duration on both cams, so a pretty mild increase ( a stage 1 grind you might say). We know my exhaust mods did nothing for power, just made a nicer noise. We know the throttle valves shut down to about 60% at the top end so this will limit the power. Even so we made some great gains. The first graph shows The gains std bike to my bike. The second shows what happens when you remove the stock intake system, in other words if you were stupid enough to put a set of 3 K & N filters you would lose a ton of midrange power. Just to clarify the cams gave us around 30 ft.lb of torque across the board and 22 whp again across the board. NICE!
IMG_2840.jpg
IMG_2839.jpg

Are the dyno figures above with the stock pistons?
(Seen your other thread about custom pistons)

Yes still stock pistons. We start replacing them today. So we can fit the supercharger back on.
Thanks!
I am thinking i could very well be perfectly happy with "only" the cams :)
Of course i salute you for your supercharger work, but i personally feel that already the cams will be overkill for me personally :)

Thanks!
I am thinking i could very well be perfectly happy with "only" the cams :)
Of course i salute you for your supercharger work, but i personally feel that already the cams will be overkill for me personally :)
I know what you mean. It’s funny how you get used to power and ‘feel the need’ after a while. 😀

Back