Progressive Spring - rear shock modification - is it any good?

very impressive
i wish i could explain things like you do.

A result of a whole lotta years teaching nuclear operations....

i can see that you would have to be very precise explaining that and follow up with what questions do you have. and no sleeping in class. lol

The rear suspension travel on the Rocket 3 is only 0.3” less than on a T120. I don’t see that there’s anything inherently wrong with a Rocket that should guarantee a crappy ride on road. The 2300 Rockets were over sprung for me (165lbs). The ride was hard because the shocks wouldn’t move, not because of damping rate. If the spring is too light for your weight, why not get a heavier spring rather than turning the damping up to keep the spring from moving?

The rear suspension travel on the Rocket 3 is only 0.3” less than on a T120. I don’t see that there’s anything inherently wrong with a Rocket that should guarantee a crappy ride on road. The 2300 Rockets were over sprung for me (165lbs). The ride was hard because the shocks wouldn’t move, not because of damping rate. If the spring is too light for your weight, why not get a heavier spring rather than turning the damping up to keep the spring from moving?
A good shock should work the full range of travel. When you sit on the bike as delivered from the dealer, if the spring doesn't compress at all it's over sprung, if it goes 50% or more of the travel it's under sprung. The amount you can adjust it may be limited (my Bobber Black came with a non adjustable shock (that got pitched out the door quickly)). My Thruxton R has fully factory installed adjustable Ohlins rear suspension, however the preload can only be moved to 1 of 3 settings (basically you get two clicks). The only way to get around this if it's too soft or too hard is change out the shocks to ones with a threaded tube and collar for preload. Otherwise it's fiddle the damping rates to get it into the zone of tranquility. Since the R is designed for two up they had to include some adjustability to the shocks for load changes, they didn't design it for my lard butt, but I find the middle adjustment works well enough for preload and I can tweak the damping to suit. If I was riding it a lot more (i.e. longe trips or hours in the seat) I'd spend the money for better, more adjustable units.
1694023661651.png

Have you adjusted your shocks
Yes.
I used this as my guide because my weight is similar....

It has made a significant improvement but is still crashing out on both washboard roads and over potholes. It can be painful if you don't spot the hazard.

I came across this listing on ebay and thought ...hmm....Not massively expensive, so rather tempting.
But....Is it any good?
Does it solve the harsh rear end over potholes etc....?

Has anyone out there fitted this kit? and if so, does it improve the ride?

Hyperpro Progressive Rear Shock Spring triumph Rocket 3 R 2021-2022 | eBay
I've had Progressive Suspension 440s.they leaked oil after I think 50000klm. I went with Hagon Nitros, much better and they're still going just fine 🇦🇺

Back