Installed the 418's friday, (fell asleep in the garage waiting for the UPS guy) and rode to work that night. Played with a couple settings for the preload and ALL of the damping settings. I thought the 440's were nice, I LOVE the 418's! I settled on the #2 preload setting and like I said, tried all of the damper numbers 1-5. 1 was very bouncy of course and 5 very firm, ended up sticking with 3 for just regular riding around conditions. The wife will be going with me later this afternoon and I'll bump up the preload a notch and tinker with the damper screw just for fun. I've had damper adjustable shocks before and never have they been so blatantly noticeable when altered. The first setting bounces like a pogo stick and the last one jars your fillings ... lots of fun. ;)
I really like the way they look, no top and bottom spring covering so the whole spring is right out there plain as day. The shock is inverted so the shock rod can easily be seen though the spring. Except the spring, the whole assembly is aluminum and very light weight. Both 418's feel less than just one stocker.
I think the 418 HD's are a good fit for the R3 both in performance and looks, plus they are less money than the 440's. Something to consider when you get sick of riding a "butt bouncing dump truck" and upgrade your suspension.

1009100938.jpg

The picture didn't come over in the last one ... don't know why.
Good lookin' shocks don't you think?
More aggressive without the top and bottom covers.

Attachments

• 1009100938.jpg
    1009100938.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 526
Had the chance to ride 2 up over the weekend with the wife. The new shocks were great, turned up the preload by one setting and went off down the road. Seemed a little bouncy so I upped the damper to 4 on the way back. Ride was perfect after that.
Forgot about it and took off on the bike by myself today and for a second wondered what was wrong, bike sat too high and it rode stiff. Then I realized it was still set for two and turned everything back down. It's nice to have the adjustments, just have to remember where I left them. :D

So you're liking those 418's are ya Hellfire?? I put the 412's on mine, rode solo and 2 up, worked great, need to ride 2 up loaded yet. I do like the looks of those 418's though.

I know it is an old thread but what the hell.
When did they stop making the 440s adjustable?? mine are fully adjustable? years ago when I ordered mine I went with the HD springs ran it for about 200miles and ripped them off and installed the regular springs.
If you are of average weight and do not carry a lot of luggage the HD springs suck.
The main reason that most people went with the 440s was that they are guaranteed for life unlike the 418s that has maybe changed but that is how it used to be.:D

Progressive Suspension PROGRESSIVE 418 SERIES SHOCKS PAIR 13" BLACK

Does this look right to everyone? hows that price in comparison? thats the cheapest google shopper turned up. Progressives website didnt have the 13" available.
The stock length is 12 1/2, but with the preload spring adjustment 13's should be fine as long as they are HD's, especially with an aftermarket lower seat like a Corbin. Mine is so low (or maybe the 36" inseam) that with the 12 1/2's and Corbin young guns saddle nearly puts me on the ground.
I've never heard of 440's with adjustable damping, yes they have infinitely adjustable preload with the screw type collar but not damping. The 418 Progressives have notched collar preload adjustment just like the stock shocks as well as adjustable dampening.
I suggest Heavy Duty springs and don't know how standard 418's might handle the bikes weight with more than one rider. Ive used 440 standards and they work well with single, but won't handle another rider with baggage.
I heard Progressive discontinued the 418's so it might be difficult to find 12 1/2 inch Heavy Duty in 418.

OH >>> FYI ... Don't use locktite on the lower bolts! The threaded sleeve will pull out of the housing next time you try to remove it. Found that out the hard way.

The stock length is 12 1/2, but with the preload spring adjustment 13's should be fine as long as they are HD's, especially with an aftermarket lower seat like a Corbin. Mine is so low (or maybe the 36" inseam) that with the 12 1/2's and Corbin young guns saddle nearly puts me on the ground.
I've never heard of 440's with adjustable damping, yes they have infinitely adjustable preload with the screw type collar but not damping. The 418 Progressives have notched collar preload adjustment just like the stock shocks as well as adjustable dampening.
I suggest Heavy Duty springs and don't know how standard 418's might handle the bikes weight with more than one rider. Ive used 440 standards and they work well with single, but won't handle another rider with baggage.
I heard Progressive discontinued the 418's so it might be difficult to find 12 1/2 inch Heavy Duty in 418.

OH >>> FYI ... Don't use locktite on the lower bolts! The threaded sleeve will pull out of the housing next time you try to remove it. Found that out the hard way.

Well Im putting up 260 lbs -- I have ONE seat. Im 6'5 so I never really have a problem with floor/foot control -- Im just wondering If I should get the 418s, The 418s in this link ARE HD spec and I like the look a lot -- Im definitely willing to buy them -- I just need to hear you say that they are the bees knees, and then I'll grab them - I don't ride nice and easy all the time, I do a lot of turns, I do a lot of high speeds as well -- so let me know if I should take these over the all black 440s!!!!!

Also I don't carry bags or anything -- Just a bare bike without stock exhaust (much lighter) and my heavy ass on it --

You might be able to find a set of the 418s, but only from distributors or Progressive, possibly a shop somewhere. HDs are nowhere to be found. Progressive says they will not have the ability to rebuild these if they get blown, but will do some deal to upgrade. There are no parts to build any more to be found. I decided on the 440's, figuring I'll be adding lbs, not shedding, in the future.

Back