HellFire

Legend
I broke down and sent the standard 440's back to Summit Racing and decided not only to go with heavy duty, but changed to 418's due to the damper adjust ability.
I did as much research as I could from their website but would rather hear from someone who has tried them on an R3.
I liked the 440's, can't complain about them at all (other than HD's are absolutely necessary for anything but a bare naked bike) they did a great job over stock. But having that extra adjustable rebound damper adjustment struck me as even better.

Any one familiar with the 418's?

Thanks for the input, I saw the other thread. Thats what I'm hoping the results will be, did you go with regular or Heavy duty 418's?

I think the 418's look meaner too.
Without the top and bottom trim covers you get to see all of the shock and springs.
The only disadvantage I see is that the 440 preload was adjustable by hand (threaded at the top) if you have a center stand, the 418 uses a cam adjuster like the stock shocks. I think I can live with that ... especially since the damping is adjustable (that little black dot at the top) and they cost about $100 less a pair.
I wonder what the advantage/disadvantage to the shock being either inverted or not within the spring ... anyone know that one? I'd also like to know just how the dial at the top of the 418's works to adjust the fluid damping internally. I'm one of those types that likes to know these things. (I have the TV shows "How it's made" and "How things work" on DVR)

Attachments

• pgr-418-1002c_w_m.jpg
    pgr-418-1002c_w_m.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 176
  • pgr-440-grp_w_m.jpg
    pgr-440-grp_w_m.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 173
Got the regular (non-HD) 418s since I mainly ride 1-up.

I believe the damping is achieved by an adjustable orifice in the hex adjuster up top. The higher the number, the smaller the orifice. That will control the rate at which oil passes from the high pressure side to low pressure side internally. When the shock compresses under load, the oil pressure tries to equalize through that orifice. Lower numbers allow the oil to equalize faster, reducing the damping.

Cam adjuster on preload is a pain - - and much easier if I just bite the bullet and pull the beetle bags off first. One good thing - - you instantly know which cam the shock is set to. With the stock shocks, I always wondered where to line up the little number.

Do they use the same tool to make the preload adjustment as the stockers? I bend that **** thing every time (ruined a couple screwdrivers too).

The Progressive shocks come with a spanner wrench. Be sure to use the grease that comes in the kit. Makes adjusting the preload much easier. The 418s are much easier to adjust than the stockers.

They are due on my door step thursday, let you know what I think after I play with them a little. The weather is supposed to be pretty decent by then.

The 440's works well enough, they just weren't the Heavy Duty versions and they bottomed out with the wife and some luggage. After our last trip to Ocean City with friends she decided to tell me that she wanted to go more places more often. That made me rethink the light duty 440's and I sent them back to Summit Racing while I had the option. The 440's weren't adjustable either so I went with the 418's for their adjustable damping while I was at it. (They are $100 less than the 440's too, $489 vs $605)
Should have the 418's tomorrow ... let you know what I think after riding them for the weekend.

update ... Made an error on $. $605 was with the fork springs and shipping, the 440's were $549 and 418's $489 (shipped).

Last edited:
Back