Possible future Rocket Captain -- Looking at '15 R3T

jholen

.020 Over
Ride
'07 Yamaha V-Star 1300 Tourer
Greetings!

The wife and I are currently in the works of making a job/house relocation and if it works out I'll be in the market to upgrade my current bike, an '07 Yamaha V-Star 1300. I'm seriously considering the Rocket III Touring and am quite excited about the possibilities with it. I've been reading up and compared to the alternative (which I admit rides/steers like a dream) of a Ultra Limited, I'm stoked about how much farther my money will go.

For basically the same amount as a used '15 Ultra Limited I can pickup the R3T and do the following:

• Russell Day Long Saddle w/ Rider/Passenger backrests, heated and rain covers
  • Wide Open Customs Fairing w/ Speaker/Stereo kit, Klock Werks 6.5" shield and optional wings/pouches
  • Triple K&N Setup + Flip's Paddock Stand
  • Some Kuryakyn extras (ISO Grips w/ contoured throttle boss, Scythe Mirrors, Stiletto End Caps, XW1.5 Roller Bag)
  • Viking Exhaust Headers + Cross Over + Mufflers
  • Dynojet Power Commander V w/ Autotune
  • DECossee's Keyless Ignition
  • BrakeAway Cruise Control
  • Rivco Risers + Barnett Clutch Cable
  • JW Speaker LED Headlight
  • TuneECU w/ hopefully a Hans0 tune for it all

Seems like a screaming deal really -- brand spanking new R3T, with all the goodies, compared to a used barebones stock HD Ultra Limited with already ~9k miles on it. I think it's an easy decision after all my reading/lurking on here.

Looking forward to becoming part of the community and hopefully piloting a R3T here in the next few months.

Welcome, test ride it and you will buy it
That's what I've heard! Waiting till I've got the cash in hand so as to not go nuts.

Buy the exhaust set up just now and I will break it in for you they have to be on another bike for one year.
Good luck on the search some good deals to be made.
Ha! I am curious, is it best to break the bike in prior to installing any performance upgrades? If so, is there a standard mileage amount prior to tuning the beast? Thanks!

What's the holdup?o_O Anyone who's done that much homework already made the decision. Put your big boy skivvies on and take it for a burn :thumbsup:. And welcome aboard captain :rolleyes:
My wife got a crack up out of your comment. I'm one of those who labors over big ticket decisions, but I'm fairly solid in going the way of the R3T. Don't see many negatives, apart from spotty dealership support but this forum has a WEALTH of knowledge and I hope to make this a 100k mile bike, planning on doing most the wrenching myself as I go. Seems that most of the answers to questions can be found here so I should be in good company.

I had a 2011 Roadglide Ultra, had it painted, did cams and even had head work done. After spending all that money I traded the Harley for my current Rocket without a second thought. The Rocket makes more power stock than a Harley can after having loads of work done on it. The Harley is better if you want a slow comfortable bike. It is what it is and they are a relaxing ride. After riding the rocket I really don't get the though guy image that so many try to exude.
I haven't upgraded to headers yet but I'm thinking of going with Viking as well. He is a valuable member here and everyone who has bought his products are well satisfied. I have heard Day Long Saddles are really nice but you might want to give @canecorso a call. He has done some seats using medical gel that is used in high end wheelchair seat pads. I'm thinking of sending my seat to him once I get mine where I want it (I've been doing red neck experimentation with the stock seat). I lost my stereo when I went with the Rocket. That's one thing I don't see a lot do here. I would love to set a stereo up but the verdict is out on weather the stock charging system can handle the tunes. I would think it could because the stock charging system handles an electric cooling fan for the radiator. The idea was thrown in to run a second battery in the stock air box to handle the extra electrical demand.
I have to agree that it seems like your mind is made up and I think you will be extremely pleased with your purchase and you will not find a better board than the one here. I've been on the other side and have made some friends along the way but I have never been closer in any internet community than I am here. The person you portray is actually more important than your bike! Weird huh? We have members who have moved on to different bikes and still post here and meet with the friends they have made. I have met people around the globe that I would never have had the opportunity to meet had it not been for this board.

I'm extremely jealous of your shopping list and expect you to post up on each one of those goodies you get hooked up to your new Rocket. :thumbsup:

Oh and WELCOME FROM NORTHERN NEVADA!!!!:D:D:D

I had a 2011 Roadglide Ultra, had it painted, did cams and even had head work done. After spending all that money I traded the Harley for my current Rocket without a second thought. The Rocket makes more power stock than a Harley can after having loads of work done on it. The Harley is better if you want a slow comfortable bike. It is what it is and they are a relaxing ride. After riding the rocket I really don't get the though guy image that so many try to exude.
I haven't upgraded to headers yet but I'm thinking of going with Viking as well. He is a valuable member here and everyone who has bought his products are well satisfied. I have heard Day Long Saddles are really nice but you might want to give @canecorso a call. He has done some seats using medical gel that is used in high end wheelchair seat pads. I'm thinking of sending my seat to him once I get mine where I want it (I've been doing red neck experimentation with the stock seat). I lost my stereo when I went with the Rocket. That's one thing I don't see a lot do here. I would love to set a stereo up but the verdict is out on weather the stock charging system can handle the tunes. I would think it could because the stock charging system handles an electric cooling fan for the radiator. The idea was thrown in to run a second battery in the stock air box to handle the extra electrical demand.
I have to agree that it seems like your mind is made up and I think you will be extremely pleased with your purchase and you will not find a better board than the one here. I've been on the other side and have made some friends along the way but I have never been closer in any internet community than I am here. The person you portray is actually more important than your bike! Weird huh? We have members who have moved on to different bikes and still post here and meet with the friends they have made. I have met people around the globe that I would never have had the opportunity to meet had it not been for this board.

I'm extremely jealous of your shopping list and expect you to post up on each one of those goodies you get hooked up to your new Rocket. :thumbsup:

Oh and WELCOME FROM NORTHERN NEVADA!!!!:D:D:D
Yeah, for sure the Ultra rode really nice -- very more maneuverable feeling compared to my V-Star 1300 despite the increased weight however I'm not tied down to having to have a Harley. They certainly are nice, wouldn't turn my nose up about them but I also really enjoy making a bike my own and I've got way more room with the Rocket to do that. Well... I should say that it is easier on my funds to do that compared to the Harley. Oh, and the fact that I won't be like everyone else on the road!

Yeah, I'm having fun doing my research figuring out what I'd like to get for it.

Good call on the stock charging setup -- I was talking with @DEcosse about his setup with PDM60 and was hoping the PDM60 might assist with running the fairing but not sure if that supplements the stock charging or simply routes power. I'll definitely look into that.

Thanks for the warm welcome!
Back in the day; GOD rode a Harley. Those days ended with the Rocket III Roadster.
So if God rides the roadster, who rides the touring?

@DEcosse is the guru to talk to and he would know what you need to do to get thumpin' tunes. The good thing about the Harley is it's the best couch in town. If you get one don't waste your money on trying to make it go fast because the fact is that it's a slow bike. It's like trying to polish a turd. You can dump a ton of money into it and at the end you still look like everyone else. I love the Harley Botique and they sell cool T shirts and stuff. Triumph T shirts say TRIUMPH. The triumph Rocket 3 is the fastest thing short of a Hyabussa and it can be built to beat those in the quarter mile. :D The Harley does handle better at slow speed. At high speed The R3 will kick it's ass handling. I remember rolling through most corners with the Road Glide. The R3 want you to throttle through. The R3 is a good way to meet local Law Enforcement. The cruise control is a good investment. Use it to stay out of trouble. It is on my wish list as well.
So if God rides the roadster, who rides the touring?

The other guy. :evil:
But don't worry, he's a lot more fun. :D:D:D

Back