Popular Mechanics Road Test

Pure poetry talltxguy, I got my issue early in the week and told my dealer about it as I had not read it until the next day. He told me about what is coming out in 08'. A touring model with fairing and bags and smaller rear tire. :eek:

Rumors abound... My dealer has seen a Triumph fairing similar to the Corbin Fleetliner but didn't know if it was part of a new model or if it will be available separately.

And a smaller rear tire you say.... for a possibly retuned engine that gets better fuel mileage at the expense of horsepower?? Don't do that Triumph.... we want the POWER :D

Unless... Its a tourer based on a twin cylinder Rocket II (I'll have to start a whole new set of forums for that...):eek:

m109

Jamie,

If you are not pulling our leg, a 109 is a Suzuki Cruiser competeing with the phat tire, 1800+cc crowd. :confused: Don't know what the 'R' means.

I have a friend who has one, and says it is a competent cruiser. From an outsider's perspective, (never having rode one, just listened to the comments), it is smoother than the VTX, and more comfortable. Another guy in our chapter had a VTX 1800 and says it was a shaker.

The back tire on the 109 looks to be the same width as the r3, but is much thinner, as in low profile, (about 1/2 the hight of the r3's). I may be mistaken, but I believe he said it had a 17 or 18 inch rim on the rear.

Last edited:
Jamie,

If you are not pulling our leg, a 109 is a Suzuki Cruiser

No, I was not. Thanks for the clarification. I thought that following the apparent demise of the Intruders, Suzuki had left the cruiser market. Looking at a pic of the 109 in a motorcycle mag, maybe Suzuki SHOULD indeed have left it ;) . The mag also says that the "controversial" headlight assembly is going to be (or already has been -?) redesigned.
Best. Jamie

m109

Jamie,

I owned a 1400 Intruder before owning any of the new Triumphs. Sorriest handling bike ever owned! It almost got me killed in a corner that was entered too fast.... made me not ever want another cruiser - style bike. Then the local Triumph dealer had me ride the SpeedMaster and found that cruiser's could actually go around a corner!

Getting back to the 109, there is a mix, (at least locally), of feelings about the bike. One friend swears by it, another swears at it and his is for sale. Don't know why, though.

I will say this, Suzuki seems to be shooting at the Honda trade. And winning, at least locally. You see more Boulevards than ever before.

Another glorious day in the neighborhood......

Darron & Jamie:

If you think about it, there are 'good, bad and ugly' comments from owners of all makes and models of cars, motorcycles, pickup trucks, any motorized vehicle.

I would imagine that there are, out there in cyberland, exists more than one disgruntled and unhappy R3 owner though it's odd we never see them on this site (I do see them on RAT, however).

It's like what car or truck is best, Ford, Chevy, Dodge or BMW....(I'll take the Beemer please).......pass on the KIA.:D

Every model of every make from any manufacturer has it's strong points and weak points. That's diversity and that's why we have such a broad choice. Look at Dr. Porsche and his Volkswagen (I think I have this right so I'm open for correction). The Volkswagen (people car) was designed and built for the masses, imported to the USA from Germany and became an instant success and cult car. When VW tried it again in the late 90's it was a flop, why, because America had outgrown the car and the car outlived it's useful life, at least here in the United States.

That brings me to a point. Is the R3 a 'cult' bike, destined to outlive it's useful existence like a light bulb burning brightly but destined in time to become dark and cold? Only time and the fickle desires and buying trends of the public at large will determine that.

(I know, I'm in a philosophical mood this morning). That's what happens when you get to take out both bikes in one day and ride them. The hard part was jumping on the R3 after the riding the sidecar outfit a good ways....I have to remember to lean and not 'drive'.:D

I'm glad there aren't many Rockets on the road - easier to convince myself and others that I've got a custom bike! ;)

Back