Popular Mechanics Road Test

The funny thing is, the Rocket is detuned in it's stock form. Just think if they would of had one with advanced timing and secondaries removed.

Darron

From what I have been hearing you either get a good M109 or a bad one. I almost bought one until I say the rocket. I hear that SOME of them have a vibration problem but not all. I will say in the cruiser line it is the Rockets closest competitor they are quick.

Mechanics Illustrated writer

Flip,

I meant to post this earlier.

I believe who you were inquiring about, (the big fat guy who worked on, tested and wrote for Mechanics Illustrated), was Tom McCahill. He was my favorite writer of the day. He was always saying, "keep them full of fresh, clean grease and they'll never wear out." Or, "pay me now, (for maintenance), or pay me later, (for the inevitable break down due to lack of maintenance.)"

I know, I know -- this ages me. You don't have to say it! :roll:

Darron:

That's him. He always was chomping on a stoogie. He reminded me of Broderick Crawford from TV....that dates me.:D

One of the guys at my old job just ordered a Boulevard M109 or whatever it's called. 11K out the door. I'm gonna have to give him an education. He does have me beat on price though.:eek:

Let's talk about 'cost of ownership'...

Price out of the door is only one measure...
Frequency and cost outlay for maintenance certainly has to figure into the equation.

Bike 1 may be 11k out the door but if it's in the shop all of the time what good is it except to the dealer that sold it to you and the mechanic that's fixin' it.

Let's not judge based solely on what the initial outlays sets you back... We certainly don't own a bike for the hours or so that it takes to sign the paperwork. Rather, we own our bikes for several years after the initial sale, and until a bike has been out for a few years, no one can really judge whether or not one bike is less expensive than another.

How many R3 owners out there have had their bikes in for warranty work, or break-fix work?

That's my point exactly....

I'd rather pay more initially for a bike that's bullet-proof than the flavor of the month that's cheap out of the door but kills you the second you drive it off of the lot.

It doesn't matter to me whether it's the periodic maintenance that costs so much because of the fancy do-dads and gizmos...

Or the piece-of-crap bikes that stuff starts falling off of for no good reason.

In the long run, the more expensive, higher quality bike has less 'cost of ownership' than the 'el cheapo' that's always needing something fixed.

Let's talk about 'cost of ownership'...How many R3 owners out there have had their bikes in for warranty work, or break-fix work?

I'm not sure if I'd want to ask that question. It seems as though the R3 has had some teething problems, i.e. final drive bearing failures, bad brake rotors, computer/idle problems, shift linkage problems, none that I wish on anyone, but problems none the less.

"Cost of ownership" really equates to what you desire in a bike. That's why there are litterally hundreds of different models of bikes out there. If everyone rode an R3, they wouldn't be very special anymore, would they?

The guy at work wanted an R3, but couldn't justify the cost. Every time he sees the R3, he always has a nice comment or two about the bike. However, he got the 109 or whatever it's called....Boulevard...... He's happy and my feeling is I don't really care what brand he rides, it's a motorcycle.

I'll ride with anyone and I wave to all riders, even hardley riders.:D

How many R3 owners out there have had their bikes in for warranty work, or break-fix work?

I have had to replace my clutch cable and primary tp sensor, both covered under warranty. Also had noise and vibration problem that went away by itself???????? I have quit worrying about it.

Back