pop/backfire from throttle bodies

TriumphR3Newb

.040 Over
Ride
2007 Rocket 3 Classic
I am not sure if this is a problem or something normal from putting on Ram Air. I notice that I get a pop/backfire sound from under the bear claw once and awhile. I am assuming this is a backfire from the throttle bodies and might be due to the ram air as I didn't hear it before it was installed. Or, did it occur but I didn't hear it due to the OEM air cleaner. Oh, I did have a TPS issue, and I pulled cleaned it and reinstalled it using Tune ECU, could this be the issue? Should I be super concerned? I am intending on installing a new TPS, putting on some pipes and doing a remap this winter, is the map the issue due to ram air? Any help/direction greatly appreciated.

I had the same issue , it can also be caused by a vacum leak from the vacum tubes that run from the throttle bodies to the PCV( not sure thats what it's called ) or like in my case on of the Throttle body to manifold rubbers was split and leaking.

I am not sure if this is a problem or something normal from putting on Ram Air. I notice that I get a pop/backfire sound from under the bear claw once and awhile. I am assuming this is a backfire from the throttle bodies and might be due to the ram air as I didn't hear it before it was installed. Or, did it occur but I didn't hear it due to the OEM air cleaner. Oh, I did have a TPS issue, and I pulled cleaned it and reinstalled it using Tune ECU, could this be the issue? Should I be super concerned? I am intending on installing a new TPS, putting on some pipes and doing a remap this winter, is the map the issue due to ram air? Any help/direction greatly appreciated.

Mines intermittently done this since I changed the air system but its so infrequent I ignore it. I always wondered if it was a ghost signal from the crank position sensor but haven't got around to looking and cleaning it.

Dont think it will be your TPS but would check @Wrecka 's suggestions too, air leaks do happen.

Mines intermittently done this since I changed the air system but its so infrequent I ignore it. I always wondered if it was a ghost signal from the crank position sensor but haven't got around to looking and cleaning it.

Dont think it will be your TPS but would check @Wrecka 's suggestions too, air leaks do happen.

Have the same thing here, not as worried about that as I was the second gear!

Happened about as often as 2nd slip but not overly concerned as its not metal slamming into metal now that freaked me out.

It is most probably a lean condition, caused by any of the above mentioned things or fitment of the ramair with no tuning..

Short answer is they all do it messing with map can make it worse or better ...don't worry about .

I have never read a post about damaged R3 engine internals due to fueling issues .

If you want something to worry about worry about your chocolate gearbox internals they get a little more knackered every single time you shift :eek::thumbsdown:

Thanks for the suggestions, maybe new pipes and a new map things will change. I think I will check out the vacuum hoses as a start. Oh, the transmission, I already blew that up last year (I have pics of the gears somewhere), been fixed, but I still worry about it happening again. The honour of riding a British Bike I guess. Thanks again for all the help/suggestions :thumbsup:

Please check your injector seals, I found a vacuum leak in mine which has caused an occasional backfire through the intake. This is a common fault on some other bikes I don't know why it's not been diagnosed or found earlier on the R3's. The seals (O rings) seal off the injector at each of the intake manifolds - to check use an aero-start or similar and spray it at the junction of the injector and the manifold - if the seal is leaking the engine idle speed will increase as you spray the propellant at the injector. Lift the tank up and prop it while you do this so that you can get a clean shot at each injector with your chosen propellant.

Good luck

Back