Panic, Saddlebag Lid Lock Fail

RockOn

Turbocharged
Ride
2006 R3 Classic, 2008 R3T, 2009 Harley Ultra
Good grief. This shaved about 5 years off my life. I've never used the lid locks on my 2008 Touring model. When checking them out of curiosity to see which of my keys locked them(ignition key) I could easily lock them by turning the key 90 degrees and remove the key but I could not unlock them and then remove the key. I could turn the key back 90 degrees to the unlock position but could not lift the lid or remove the key! Same thing on both bag lids. WTF? Well, after considering drastic measures like cutting a big hole into the bag I kept trying to get the key to turn the lock mechanism further which would allow the key lock button to fully press down and unlock the lid. Well, on the verge of snapping the key off inside the lock, the lock will finally give way with an audible click and allow the key to be removed and the button to be depressed on the lid and then open.

When I first got the bike a couple years ago I could not open the lids even though they were unlocked. Waiting until local temps lowered from nearly a hundred to the 80's in the evening I was then able to open the lids. Then I completely dismantled the lid latch and lock mechanisms, lubricated and have never had a problem with them until this unlocking failure. Is very hard pressure on the key normally required to unlock the lids? I doubt it. Would spraying graphite or WD 40 into the lock help? Other ideas? :unsure:

On my '14, the locks have always turned easy with minimal downward pressure. I have had to apply downward pressure on the lid to activate the button; but that's it. Any quality lock lubrication is highly recommended. I live in the desert (Tucson) so would lean towards graphite.
-MIG

On my '14, the locks have always turned easy with minimal downward pressure. I have had to apply downward pressure on the lid to activate the button; but that's it. Any quality lock lubrication is highly recommended. I live in the desert (Tucson) so would lean towards graphite.
-MIG
Squirted graphite into the locks. That did the trick. :thumbsup:

Squirted graphite into the locks. That did the trick. :thumbsup:
Good to know. I will give both of mine a aquirt of graphite now too as the latches do get a bit sticky even with new parts.
Edit: due to later advice from an Aussie poster @kenne I have not used graphite.

Last edited:
Back