THECRAIGMEISTER

.020 Over
I took my 05' Rocket with 1400 miles to my nearest dealer 5 hours away to check out the "Paint Can Rattle" noise it has made since I bought it last summer with 400 miles on it. I was informed today that the dealer performed a "service bulletin" on it to synchronize the secondaries in the throttle bodies. I was informed that they were making the noise and that there is a service bulletin out about the noise and that alot if not all the Rockets make that noise until this update is performed to synch the secondaries. Has anyone else heard about this? I am told that the noise is gone but I will not be able to verify it until next week sometime when I can take a day off to Drive to Denver to pick up my bike. Also they had to load a new tune which is part of the bulletin to fix the idle issues. This means that my Tuneboy tune is gone. Told me that they have had quite a few problems with bikes that have Tuneboy? Anyway I just wanted some input as to if this all sounds legitimate? What and how would the secondaries make this noise if they were out of synch? I am happy that they didn't have to tear my bike apart and that it wasn't thousands of dollars to fix the noise. I have heard on this forum that a few people have removed the secondaries? Does anyone without secondaries installed have this noise still? I think Jack has removed his? Any input is appreciated.

Certainly does sound like a load of crap to me too.
I had the paint can rattle, took my bike to two different dealers they both said "normal, ride and enjoy"
Well, I had no joy with that bloody noise. Took it upon myself to do the repair, only to find the key on the crank shaft sprocket was flogged out. I'm just glad I fixed it when I did. She runs sweeter and quieter than ever.

So the bulletin is just for idle? Doesn't have anything to do with the secondaries? I wonder how they got the noise to go away? What on the lower sprocket would cause this noise? Does the sprocket become loose or something? I have read all the threads on this and I am still confused as to exactly what is supposed to be the problem. Some of the warranty claims show that lots and lots of stuff is replaced? If I have to end up doing this myself what parts would I need?

I got my bike back and it has finally cleared up enough to put a few miles on the bike. I rode for about 20 miles a few nights ago till I was too cold to ride anymore. It was a balmy 38 degrees. Anyway with the new Triumph tune the bike doesn't seem to run bad just not as good of throttle response and doesn't seem to have the same power but............my paint can rattle noise seems to be gone? I don't know how the updated Triumph tune could have done it but it is gone? They said it synchronized the secondaries and adjusts the idle? I had them check my timing chain sprocket and tensioner. They were both ok. So now I would like the full power back so can I save the current Triumph tune with Tuneboy then load my 20050_3 tune back in my bike after removing the O2 senosr and such and trying it with that tune to see if the sound comes back?

You can't save the current tune but you can ask your dealer what stock tune number they loaded and download it from the Tuneboy site if you would need it. You could even copy the fueling and timing tables from the 20050_3 tune and paste them into the new stock tune so you have the good voodoo in your ECU too.

I guess as long as the noise was only the secondaries I am not so worried about it anymore. It is gone now but I think I will just remove my O2 sensor and put back in the 20050_3 tune and have the full power in all gears so my bike will run like it is supposed too. I am happy with the performance the Tuneboy tune gives me so I will try that route once again. If all else fails I can always reinstall my O2 sensor and download the factory tune again if something happens. Thanks Pig9r for all the help you give in this forum and to me!!

Back