Overfilled Tank; BSA Nostalgia

mcather

Supercharged
Ride
08 GL1800, 13 R3T, 80 LTD 1000, 70 BSA Lightning
Well, I smell like I'm back riding the old BSA with the tickler Amals.
I needed gas in the Rocket Touring and cash so I pulled into a Kum and Go and squeezed as much gas in as I could.
I was plenty proud of myself.

Then it was over to WF ATM for some cash. I got behind a fellow in a BMW who decided to balance his
checkbook after he took some money. I sat there idling. He finally left so I pulled up, got my cash, then away I went. About two blocks later the bike felt like it was out of gas, so I pulled over into a lot.

I thought full tank and now stops, vapor lock. I unscrewed the gas cap and fuel gushed out all over my leg.
I wicked out some gas with a rag from my saddle bag and was able to get home where I siphoned out about 10 ozs. I then went for a 100 mile ride with no problems.

Cat

I had a couple Bonnevilles back when I was in college and I remember having to "tickle" the carbs. For some reason the one I was dating then always wanted me to wash my fingers after riding the bike and before I used them for "tickling" anything else...

I needed gas in the Rocket Touring and cash so I pulled into a Kum and Go and squeezed as much gas in as I could.

Then it was over to WF ATM for some cash. I got behind a fellow in a BMW who decided to balance his
checkbook after he took some money. I sat there idling. He finally left so I pulled up, got my cash, then away I went. About two blocks later the bike felt like it was out of gas, so I pulled over into a lot.

I thought full tank and now stops, vapor lock. I unscrewed the gas cap and fuel gushed out all over my leg.
I wicked out some gas with a rag from my saddle bag and was able to get home where I siphoned out about 10 ozs. I then went for a 100 mile ride with no problems.

Cat
What happened to your fuel tank overflow hose?

What happened to your fuel tank overflow hose?
Thanks, it must be clogged. The nipple in the filler tube seems clear. The bike was hot and my guess was that the gas expanded and overwhelmed the overflow, but I'm going to lift up the tank and take a look see. Any suggestions?

When I first got my R3, I would fill the tank completely and in summer, I would have the same problem. I don't fill it above the bar any more.

Thanks, it must be clogged. The nipple in the filler tube seems clear. The bike was hot and my guess was that the gas expanded and overwhelmed the overflow, but I'm going to lift up the tank and take a look see. Any suggestions?
Did you have/remove the California evap canister? Maybe you accidentally clamped off the wrong hose during removal?
I overfilled my R3 once and fuel just ran through the hose to the ground while at the pump. I've never had the problem you and Boog are describing, even when riding through the Mojave Desert at 115F+.

Did you have/remove the California evap canister? Maybe you accidentally clamped off the wrong hose during removal?
I overfilled my R3 once and fuel just ran through the hose to the ground while at the pump. I've never had the problem you and Boog are describing, even when riding through the Mojave Desert at 115F+.

I have not removed that canister but I bought it w/ 1200 miles on it.
That was the only time that happened since 2013; now have 18,000 miles.

I'll check that hose this weekend.

cat

Last edited:
I have not remove that canister but I bought it w/ 1200 miles on it.
That was the only time that happened since 2013; now have 18,000 miles.

I'll check that hose this weekend.

cat

Before I removed the canister if I overfilled mine in the summer it would go about a mile before it tried to die on me. Or if I filled up in the cool of the AM and it sat there and expanded during the day. Since removing the canister I haven't had an issue although I have puked gas onto mother earth a couple of times. Just like the days of old, overflow straight to the ground. ;)

bob

Cat
overfilled my tank and stalled out within minutes. havent had any problems before now. Ive siphoned out half a gallon but still wont start. may need to evaporate more before it runs again.

hoping I didnt mess up anything else.

Back