Outer temperature

Martin_z_BA

.060 Over
Ride
everywhere
Hello, currently we are on mototrip, I on GT, my woman on BMW R1200R. Weather is wild, some days too cold, some days too hot. We compare the measured temperature. My GT almost always, specially in cold weather shows 2° Celsius more then her BMW (and I trust her, because was really cold). In hot days +-32°C shows the same.
Have you compared the temperature with another bikes?
Do I have faulty temperature sensor?
Is the heat from engine so huge that it changes measured temperature?
Or, is it ok, because the people in United Kingdom also want to have summer, at least on display? 🤣

Yes, have compared to other bikes including another 3R.
Sensor is probably ok, the tube bringing air to it could be the problem.
Engine temp is unlikely to be affecting it, especially when on the move.

See this other thread

The temp sensor is meant to measure the air temp of the air flow entering the throttle bodies.
The only time it will be the same as outside temp is before u start the bike.
The ecu uses this info to fine tune the air/fuel mixture so i would not mess with it unless u know a lot about this sensor.

There's two temp sensors - one for the engine ecu & the other (behind the front panel) for the ambient temp displayed on the dash.

Most of the sensors sends info.to the ecu and that is why u can take a scanner and read the info
Example on a lot of cars/trucks the vehicle speed sensor sends signal to the ecu to use for shifting trans ect and also the ecu send signal to speedo head to make speedo/odometer work.
In order to diagnose problems you check to see if the ecu is receiving the speed sensor info and if that is correct then the problem is in the speedo head in the dash

Back