Let me get this right, what you are saying is when the tire gets worn out, trade in the bike and get a new tire......kewl.

I'd imagine that anyone driving around in a Hummer don't have too much of a clue about conspicuous consumption.

No, that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is if you don't like the price of tires then you should have done a little more research before you bought the bike. Or is "How much will this thing cost me every year?" not a question you think about when making a vehicle purchase? If you want a bike that is cheap to maintain, this probably wasn't your best choice.

Your last comment I don't understand at all and I'm not sure to say thank you or sit here rereading what you said trying to find a hidden meaning. I drive a Hummer and don't have a clue about conspicuous consumption... So you are spending lavishly to display wealth but I don't because I have a hooptie H1...

No, that's not what I'm saying. What I'm saying is if you don't like the price of tires then you should have done a little more research before you bought the bike. Or is "How much will this thing cost me every year?" not a question you think about when making a vehicle purchase? If you want a bike that is cheap to maintain, this probably wasn't your best choice.

Your last comment I don't understand at all and I'm not sure to say thank you or sit here rereading what you said trying to find a hidden meaning. I drive a Hummer and don't have a clue about conspicuous consumption... So you are spending lavishly to display wealth but I don't because I have a hooptie H1...
Good point on the "how much will this thing cost me every year?". That's my "stupid tax" that I get to pay for not asking that question. Live and learn. Don't get me wrong, I love the Rocket , it's just one of those purchases that I did not think through.:eek:

Hey 3ngin33r1

What kind of Roadster you got??Send me a pict.. Tires.Again If you wanna play ya gotta pay..Busa tires lasted 3.000. Use to It. Crazy Jack

Took a little trip this weekend (extended) racked up another 1400 mileson the Goodyear. 7000 miles on it and still 6mm tread left. started with just a tic under 7mm. Don't complain about tire wear do something. I did my research before I bought and wasn't going to let a poor choice of rubber (IMO) stop me from buying this bike. Captains here are making fixes for foot pegs, windscreens, handlebars, and engine tunes all the time. Who get's conscerned with handling, steering geometry, and warranty issues on these changes, and why is a performance tire any different. homework compleated :p

There are reasons why these tires cost more, a lot of them. A big one is volume. How many stock production bikes out there run a 240/50VR-16? So many different bikes run their own unique sizes, cars, although there are also a lot of sizes, an 03 Honda accord LX uses a 205/65-15 all around, so does the 02 Toyota Camry LE. I don't know how many each of these were sold in the US alone but it's a hell of a lot more than the r3, multiplied by 4 when it comes to tire production and not 1.

Supposedly, there's more engineering involved in a motorcycle tire because of contact patch/hp and there are more compounds used which raises the price. Warehousing these things raises the price too, they aren't going to fire up a production line for one tire order, so they are going to do a run, warehouse them and wait for inventory to drop, but, since there aren't many bikes out there running this thing, the inventory sits there, costing more. Then when it gets low, the have to spin up the production line to stock it back up. Costing more.

If every motorcycle ran the same tire size, costs would probably be just above a car tire because no matter what you do, the volume will never be the same as cars.

Just some thoughts...

That Goodyear has a very square profile, there are many metric radials that are much more rounded, almost motorcycle like...
Like what? I can be persuaded.

Anyone who has been riding bikes for any lengh of time knows bike tires don't last as long as car tires. If your bike tire lasted for ever that would mean your not riding. :D
Actually, Bridgestone came out with their DTC (dual tread compound) for longer mileage touring tires. I went from about 5000 to better that 13k. I'd be happy with 13k on my ME880.

Maybe it's just me but I don't understand this whole tire cost issue.
I don't imagine you do.

Good point on the "how much will this thing cost me every year?". That's my "stupid tax" that I get to pay for not asking that question. Live and learn. Don't get me wrong, I love the Rocket , it's just one of those purchases that I did not think through.:eek:
Right On! But that isn't going to keep either you or I from discovering alternatives.

Like what? I can be persuaded.

Actually, Bridgestone came out with their DTC (dual tread compound) for longer mileage touring tires. I went from about 5000 to better that 13k. I'd be happy with 13k on my ME880.

I don't imagine you do.

Right On! But that isn't going to keep either you or I from discovering alternatives.
Thanks, I feel better now.:D

tires

I have around 30,000 miles on car tires on R3's. It's not the over priced ( I got you sucker you can't buy anything else) it's all that time wasted doing the changes.
They were using car tires on motorcycles 50 years ago. Fat tire bikes are hard to handle in the dirt.
rockenrobert

Back