Optimal Tire Pressure

maurice

Supercharged
Ride
2020 R3 GT
Wondering what others think of this. It is said that max psi, 42 front and back per manual, give the most longevity. It's also noticed tires wear out the most in the middle, hence chicken strips. Would it not make sense to reduce pressure somewhat so more of the tire contacts the road, distributing wear? Not so much it's squishy.

Kevin frazier

Widowmaker!
Ride
2008 Triumph rocket 3 touring
Unless you are maxing out the weight on either axle and are not running up to max speeds often you can move pressures around some, most find a pressure they perfer, if you set pressures to 42 when its 70 degress your pressure will change as that ambient air (cold) pressure changes from 65 to 70 to 80, when i set at 42 for max load in Phoenix which i am right now that will be 41 or 40 when i get in cooler places in the morning when i check air pressures. Some different presures and temps below

Attachments

Mighty Mouse

A Mouse of a different breed.
Ride
2014 Triumph Rocket Roadster
If you're talking about the Cobra Chrome's then at 190 lbs I like 40 psi on the rear and 37-38 on the front. That feels best for me but if you vary the pressure you should find the sweet spot rather quickly. If you change up the tire manufacturer then you have to do the same thing all over. All tires are not created equal.:thumbsup:

Kevin frazier

Widowmaker!
Ride
2008 Triumph rocket 3 touring
If you're talking about the Cobra Chrome's then at 190 lbs I like 40 psi on the rear and 37-38 on the front. That feels best for me but if you vary the pressure you should find the sweet spot rather quickly. If you change up the tire manufacturer then you have to do the same thing all over. All tires are not created equal.:thumbsup:
I was referring to weight on tire it says something like max weight 880 at 42 psi cold, but youre right just didl it in for you unless you meet the weights listed on tire than it should be set accordingly, unless youre maxed out traveing or trailering you wont meet those weight numbers stamped on tire.

sonny

Living Legend
Ride
rocket three x
I run the same pressure. Front at 37 to 38 seems to smooth things out a lot.

Lemieuxfan

Supercharged
Ride
2014 Rocket III Roadster
i like similar running 36-37 front with 40 on the rear; running to much air in the front you run the risk of stressing the front seals which will need replaced...