Optimal Tire Pressure

Yeah my 08 R3T feels good with the recommended fr 36, r 42, manufacturers of tires say don't move more than 1 or 2 lbs. than recommend for the manufacturer Either way, an under inflated tire will run hotter from the extra flex on the sidewall which could cause it to fail, I think the only problem with over inflation is less traction, actually riding double suggested adding a couple lbs for the extra weight or baggage or both 😁. Just don't go over the Max rating of the tire marked on the sidewall. If you have a lot of weight on it, go by how it looks from normal, if it looks flatter, probably add a little air so as to not overheat from flexing constantly back and forth would be a good idea, ridding an instant unicycle at 70 MPH doesn't sound like fun, not even exciting 😜😂🤔😏

Yeah my 08 R3T feels good with the recommended fr 36, r 42, manufacturers of tires say don't move more than 1 or 2 lbs. than recommend for the manufacturer Either way, an under inflated tire will run hotter from the extra flex on the sidewall which could cause it to fail, I think the only problem with over inflation is less traction, actually riding double suggested adding a couple lbs for the extra weight or baggage or both 😁. Just don't go over the Max rating of the tire marked on the sidewall. If you have a lot of weight on it, go by how it looks from normal, if it looks flatter, probably add a little air so as to not overheat from flexing constantly back and forth would be a good idea, ridding an instant unicycle at 70 MPH doesn't sound like fun, not even exciting 😜😂🤔😏

Tire manufacturers are concerned about one thing, liability, which is why they make statements like that. Everyone has to find their own sweet spot based on their riding, ie. 2up, single rider, weight of rider(s), track day, climate, etc.

I tried some changes and lowered the pressure on front to 38 psi and the rear to 37 psi. It did smooth out the front some and provide a more comfortable ride.
These bikes have some of the best shocks money can buy. You have a lot better options than lowering the tire pressure if your goal is to make the bike handle and ride better through suspension adjustments. Lowering the pressure from 42psi will only have a negative effect on the lifespan and symmetrical wear pattern of the tires and give you next to nothing in your quest of trying to obtain a better ride.

Tire manufacturers are concerned about one thing, liability, which is why they make statements like that. Everyone has to find their own sweet spot based on their riding, ie. 2up, single rider, weight of rider(s), track day, climate, etc.
Well that's the way I Heard it put, sounds feasible to me like if you take a thin piece of metal and flex it back and forth it will make a lot of heat and eventually break, if you drop your pressure by 5 psi that sidewall will sag on the bottom and straighten out without a load, eventually it's not going to be able to dissipate the heat and the rubber is going to overheat to the point of failure.
Maybe not on a ride to the store and back, but across country it will take a toll on it, I once had a fairly worn tire tried to get back home 500 Miles and took some air out, don't remember how much, but I doubt it was more than 5psi, just so happened I hit an uneven bridge not too far in and had the spare new tire strapped on the back and changed it in a garage that just happened to be right after the bridge, colagan water company, changed it in the shipping dock and they had air tg, 🙏 while it rained, and it stopped when I was done and off again, can't make this s**t up, so there's other reasons besides overheating but hey it your, you know what , have a good one👍
Also I might add I forgot my ex one day left early in the morning said she had a low tire running about 45 minutes to work and on the way back about halfway got a blowout the whole outside of the tire disintegrated.
But hey I'm not the mechanical engineer of tire's and physics of rubber and nylon or steel belts, just what I read.
But I might add a bias tire sidewall won't flex as much as a radial, bias sidewalls are thicker, but the center of the tire will flex more, hence they can carry more weight, cruiser, but less speed, H rated verses V rated radial or better. Also an H rating is 130mph , and V rating is 149 mph, but that's only for there liability. Hence I got rid of the brand new bias tire the guy gave me with the bike, I don't know if triumph recommends a bias tire for the rocket, in the beginning they did and they were disintegrating from the inside out, check tyre recall rocket, plus I called Bridgestone to match a back and they said they don't make a tire for the rocket. I didn't ask why, I just took his word for it. Some guys don't like a soft compound tire cause you get less mileage out of them, I'd rather have more traction anyday. Especially in the rain.
I once had an argument with an old timer when I was about 18 years old about having a blowout on the front or the back which is worse I said definitely the front you lose all control of your steering, he said no the back I did not believe him and still don't. You have a blowout on the front tire on a bike get ready to do a nose plant, with your nose not the bike. Front end is going to skip right out from underneath you

Last edited:
Back