Opinions on this bike?

Mad Dog

Turbocharged
Ride
2008 Rocket III Touring
My 23 year old son wants a road bike. He isn’t a big guy, manages to handle the R3, but it’s to much for him. IMO a disaster waiting to happen. Just not a beginners bike. He isn’t really a beginner, has a motorcycle endorsement, but his hours on big bikes are low, and I know him, he will push it over the limit just to see where it is, and if he can recover.

We looked at a Thunderbird today. It’s 1600cc and weighs 747 lbs. I test drove it, seemed easy to manage, nimble and quick. I’m used to the R3, I’m certain my perception is off on what is manageable for him. What do you guys think, still to much for the first big bike, or am being a mother hen?

Also, does anybody know anything about the Thunderbirds? It’s a 2010 with 6700 miles, the guys wants 5k for it. Looks like this-

ECC9A14B-47CC-403C-98ED-D9C0EBE880FA.jpeg 8E4B0EA2-EA18-427A-B95B-DAC0353413DC.jpeg

Last edited:
awesome bike.....I had a 'Storm' which as you may know is the 1700 blacked out version of that. My cobber still has one. We both had them the same...tors..decatted...PCV with dyno tune...great bike.
You can get 'Mustang' seats for them too...soooooo comfy with a backrest...
I have ridden the 1600 too...very light and responsive too...
This is a photo of my Storm..just a P.S....i lost the wee flange where the header meets the block...it just comes untacked and flys off...i got replacements thru fasteddy....check mine out on the photo...cheers.
20190303_131554.jpg

My 23 year old son wants a road bike. He isn’t a big guy, manages to handle the R3, but it’s to much for him. IMO a disaster waiting to happen. Just not a beginners bike. He isn’t really a beginner, has a motorcycle endorsement, but his hours on big bikes are low, and I know him, he will push it over the limit just to see where it is, and if he can recover.

We looked at a Thunderbird today. It’s 1600cc and weighs 747 lbs. I test drove it, seemed easy to manage, nimble and quick. I’m used to the R3, I’m certain my perception is off on what is manageable for him. What do you guys think, still to much for the first big bike, or am being a mother hen?

Also, does anybody know anything about the Thunderbirds? It’s a 2010 with 6700 miles, the guys wants 5k for it. Looks like this-

ECC9A14B-47CC-403C-98ED-D9C0EBE880FA.jpeg 8E4B0EA2-EA18-427A-B95B-DAC0353413DC.jpeg
Buy it. Solid bike.

I can not give you that answer. My kid at that age would not be here. Some how they think they are bullet proof or have some kind of medal of honor healing potion. I could live with him being alive and pissed at me. Not sure if he ended up in the ground. :)

I can not give you that answer. My kid at that age would not be here. Some how they think they are bullet proof or have some kind of medal of honor healing potion. I could live with him being alive and pissed at me. Not sure if he ended up in the ground. :)
Exactly.
And that really isn’t a fair question. I know him better than anybody...and I’m not sure. Honestly I think he will handle the weight of the bike. The power and the youth is what worries me.

Exactly.
And that really isn’t a fair question. I know him better than anybody...and I’m not sure. Honestly I think he will handle the weight of the bike. The power and the youth is what worries me.
Another thing to consider is his riding buddies what do they have? If its a sport type and he trys to hang in there with a bulldozer it could be asking for problems. I'm just lucky my son did not develop a taste for riding. Good luck with your decision. But I bet Mom is not sure either. 36 years married so I can give you a piece of advice. If she is totally negative roll with her bud !!!!

My son has a 250cc Honda. He has been riding it since he was 14 he is 19 now and still riding it. He does look like a gorilla fu**ing a monkey on it. I am a mother hen and he is very stingy with his money so not sure if he will ever get a new bike. For that price I have enough faith in him I would let him buy that bike. You know your son best John good luck

Back