Opinions on this bike?

Yep, slowly upgraded my way through the different engine sizes, part of the UK license system and what I could afford. Started on a 125, 175, 250, 650, 1000 now 2300.

I would have said that between a 350cc and 600cc is a great starting point - they are light with enough grunt to get you out of a situation if required. Not sure what type of bike he may like so will not offer advice there.

As @warp9.9 said it does make sense to think about his riding buddies, although that never influenced any of my choices.

Getting out and riding, to build up road sense, is the best way to keep your son safe - you can have fun on any bike what ever size it is.

Good luck with your choices and lets hope he rides many safe miles.

My first bike was 1200cc. It was a Harley so it wasn't fast and didn't handle well. I took it really slow, stayed off the interstate first couple years, learned the bike and got comfortable with it. That bike looks like a good deal. Already got windshield and bags, so if you want to do some father and son trips it's ready to go. One of the biggest things to look out for is other drivers. Doesn't matter the size of the bike when a car hits you. Really depends on him. Some people twice his age still going to do stupid stuff, take risks, and probably couldn't handle that bike.

My 23 year old son wants a road bike. He isn’t a big guy, manages to handle the R3, but it’s to much for him. IMO a disaster waiting to happen. Just not a beginners bike. He isn’t really a beginner, has a motorcycle endorsement, but his hours on big bikes are low, and I know him, he will push it over the limit just to see where it is, and if he can recover.

We looked at a Thunderbird today. It’s 1600cc and weighs 747 lbs. I test drove it, seemed easy to manage, nimble and quick. I’m used to the R3, I’m certain my perception is off on what is manageable for him. What do you guys think, still to much for the first big bike, or am being a mother hen?

Also, does anybody know anything about the Thunderbirds? It’s a 2010 with 6700 miles, the guys wants 5k for it. Looks like this-

ECC9A14B-47CC-403C-98ED-D9C0EBE880FA.jpeg 8E4B0EA2-EA18-427A-B95B-DAC0353413DC.jpeg
Buy it size doesn't matter you can get just as hurt on a 100 cc as 2300 . How's his common sense? That's what matters and good brakes some smaller bikes have crud for brakes. T-birds are awesome does it have ABS?

My 23 year old son wants a road bike. He isn’t a big guy, manages to handle the R3, but it’s to much for him. IMO a disaster waiting to happen. Just not a beginners bike. He isn’t really a beginner, has a motorcycle endorsement, but his hours on big bikes are low, and I know him, he will push it over the limit just to see where it is, and if he can recover.

We looked at a Thunderbird today. It’s 1600cc and weighs 747 lbs. I test drove it, seemed easy to manage, nimble and quick. I’m used to the R3, I’m certain my perception is off on what is manageable for him. What do you guys think, still to much for the first big bike, or am being a mother hen?

Also, does anybody know anything about the Thunderbirds? It’s a 2010 with 6700 miles, the guys wants 5k for it. Looks like this-

ECC9A14B-47CC-403C-98ED-D9C0EBE880FA.jpeg 8E4B0EA2-EA18-427A-B95B-DAC0353413DC.jpeg
Ive taught several people how to ride over the years. I think you can learn on any bike. Discipline and maturity don't come with the permit to drive.

Darn near any bike, probably all of them can kill.

My opinion:??have a sit down with him, share your concerns and then make a decision with or for him after that.

Good luck, and your blessed to have a kid you can ride with!

I had the Storm for a few months before I switched to the rocket...he’ll be fine with it , no where near the handful a Rocket is IMO.

Awesome machine, I had the storm prior to my rocket and it’s cracking, very easy to handle with plenty of power on tap.

Here in NZ when you get your bike licence you are restricted to something like 660cc...a lams bike.. Learners. They must have an 'L' plate attached.
Quote..
LAMS-approved motorcycles include:

• All motorcycles with engine capacities of 250cc and under, except for those on the LAMS-prohibited list above.
  • All motorcycles manufactured prior to 1960 with an engine capacity of 660cc and under.
  • The following list of motorcycles with engine capacities between 251cc and 660cc – these motorcycles must be in standard form as produced by the manufacturer. They cannot be modified in any way to increase the power-to-weight ratio.
  • Triumph All pre 1984 up to 650
    Triumph Street Triple 660 ABS B1 660
    Harley Davidson SS350 350
    Harley Davidson Street 500 (HDMXG50015) 500

• That is only a couple obviously but there are many many more of different makes...too many to post here.
  • Warp makes a good valid point in "Who is he riding with ?"...as we know, it does make a difference,,,dont want no meathead mates trying to be the man!!

Back