Oiling system explanation

wjb

Nitrous
Ride
2008 Rocket III Touring
I am confused about the oiling system on the Rocket 3. First, is it a wet sump or dry sump engine? The oil tank below the throttle bodies seems to indicate that it is dry sump but that kind of system usually leads to problems that I never hear anyone complaining about, so maybe I'm mistaken.
My old Norton had a separate oil tank and if the bike sat for any length of time the oil would slowly leak past the oil pump gears and find it's way to the bottom of the engine. It would then have to be pumped up to the tank upon start up.
Also, the oil change videos I've watched for the R3 show only draining the oil pan, not the oil tank so if it's wet sump why do we have a separate oil tank?
Looking for enlightenment.

3 oil lugs to drain the bike the one in the front left drains the oil tank. The other two front right just under the filter and rear left of the sump pan darin the oik drippings thru the two screen inlets that feed the dual rotor scavenger pump. This pump when the engine is running retrurns oil back to the tank.

And no issues with the oil seeping down into the engine when it’s not supposed to. Haven’t had any trouble with the Rocket starting after sitting for a long period of time except for maybe a dead battery.

Back