Thank you Tal and leatal. I had seen some grease on the left side and it makes more sense for it to be grease than oil because there is never oil on the floor. I'll give it a good wipe down and keep an eye on it. Thanks again!

i also did the same as mully just to cover all the things I thought it may be....as has been mentioned, if its an oil leak it will leak and keep leaking ...it wont just stop will it?....unless you do something that stops it.
I was concerned too but after I cleaned and dried it stopped.

i also did the same as mully just to cover all the things I thought it may be....as has been mentioned, if its an oil leak it will leak and keep leaking ...it wont just stop will it?....unless you do something that stops it.
I was concerned too but after I cleaned and dried it stopped.

I would like to mention that my oil leak would come and go.

When I first saw the leak I was riding and pretty far from the house. It wasn't anything major. Said to self "I'll check it out when I'm at the house" Well I forgot about it but thought about it later on. The leak was gone. It had kind of burnt off so I just cleaned up the residue and was going to keep a eye on it.

However it came back later on. That's when I decided to try to fix it. To me it was more of a cosmetic thing.... didn't want to let people see a oil on my new bike.... lol However it needed to be fixed sooner or later.

I rode the bike for a long time before I decided to fix it because the leak was off and on. Heck I'm not 100% its fixed now.... just have not seen any fresh oil since I moved the tank around.

When I was 15 I had a 1952 Matchless 500 single, I'd pull into a gas station, fill up the oil and check the gas :D
I just got done reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. The main character rides a BMW and does several oil changes during his trip from Missouri to California. A few them seem to happen in a field and I couldn't help but imagine how odd I would feel taking my R3T to a field and dumping 5.5qts of oil on the ground. That and the fact that now days most bikes could make that trip twice without needing an oil change.

Thanks @mully95. The weather is cooling off a bit and I am going back to the bike for my daily commuter. I'll clean it up this morning and keep an eye on it. I should know fairly soon if it's oil, that is if I remember to check. :)

Thanks @mully95. The weather is cooling off a bit and I am going back to the bike for my daily commuter. I'll clean it up this morning and keep an eye on it. I should know fairly soon if it's oil, that is if I remember to check. :)

There are three weeping holes from a channel that runs from the bottom of the spark plug to the left side of the motor. If your valve cover gasket was not seated correctly, it will leak from there too. There's a good thread on the subject somewhere here. Good pics and tips if you'r a DYS'er.
All this must be warranty work but it's kind'a cool to know.

There are three weeping holes from a channel that runs from the bottom of the spark plug to the left side of the motor. If your valve cover gasket was not seated correctly, it will leak from there too. There's a good thread on the subject somewhere here. Good pics and tips if you'r a DYS'er.
All this must be warranty work but it's kind'a cool to know.
I would like to know and that's why I haven't called the dealership yet. I have wanted this bike for a long time and plan on keeping it even longer. The more I know now the less I'll need to learn later. As for being a DYS'er, I've always done the easy stuff but I really want to be able to do most everything on this bike. I spend a lot of time just reading all the threads here but I need to get better at the search function.

Thanks for the info!

Back