Oil tank empty after layup

I usually go out and at least start the engine about every month if I can't take it out for a spin.
Do that on both bikes, now. I took the Rocket around the block the day before yesterday.
Now, because of this thread, I'll be checking the oil tank for curiosity's sake before that crank over.
On the Kawasaki, there is no oil tank, so no drainage there.
I learn more every day on this forum!! Thanks All!

I usually go out and at least start the engine about every month if I can't take it out for a spin.
Do that on both bikes, now. I took the Rocket around the block the day before yesterday.
Now, because of this thread, I'll be checking the oil tank for curiosity's sake before that crank over.

You maybe overthinking the procedure as I am!

This thread has reminded me of another easy mistake bike and car owners do...and that's keep topping up brake reservoirs as the pads wear and the fluid drops resulting in pushing the pistons back for new pads and finding out you have no room in the reservoir for all the extra fluid:(...

What will you do if the oil level is below the pickup pipe as mine was? If you top it up it will be overfilled when it runs if it hasn't leaked over the floor.

Run it for a minute and re-check it. With an eye on the oil light. :)

Yes when I started mine the oil light went out immediately and while watching the tank the scavenge pump refilled the oil tank almost immediately too. If it wasn't within a second I would have shut it down and probably took oil from the sump and topped up. It seems from this site that during a long layup this happens to these bikes but is not really a problem. It is a pity the owners book isn't more informative. I have had about 20 bikes so far and have never noticed this before.

Back