Oil evaluation, not just another oil thread!

Jag

Living Legend
Ride
2013 R3T
6AF5F012-D8CF-40F0-9ACA-BD6A16D1E5EF.jpeg
Tell me I’m crazy, but here is what I have been doing for the last 2 years to monitor the health of my engine.

I started having my oil analyzed by Blackstone Laboratories – Oil Analysis – Learn What's Going On In Your Engine
2 years ago (once a year) to keep an eye on wear and tear and to see if I could save money and just change my oil once a year.

For 28$ (A year) I have found out that,
I can do just one oil change a year, and that everything is good and wearing on an even keel.

They (Blackstone) keep an eye on key components like water/antifreeze/fuel in your oil, along with all types of metals, minerals and additives. They keep and compare every sample you send them to come up with a trend. They need three different samples from three different tests. I do one a year around the same time. For a couple of dollars more they will check viscosity. I don’t waste my money on that test because I only do a couple of thousand miles a year.

It’s my hope that if the transmission (or other components)starts to go south I will be able to pick that up based on the report.

Tell me I’m crazy, but here is what I have been doing for the last 2 years to monitor the health of my engine.

I started having my oil analyzed by Blackstone Laboratories – Oil Analysis – Learn What's Going On In Your Engine
2 years ago (once a year) to keep an eye on wear and tear and to see if I could save money and just change my oil once a year.

I can do just one oil change a year, and that everything is good and wearing on an even keel.

They (Blackstone) keep an eye on key components like water/antifreeze/fuel in your oil, along with all types of metals, minerals and additives. They keep and compare every sample you send them to come up with a trend. They need three different samples from three different tests. I do one a year around the same time. For a couple of dollars more they will check viscosity. I don’t waste my money on that test because I only do a couple of thousand miles a year.

It’s my hope that if the transmission (or other components)starts to go south I will be able to pick that up based on the report.

Interesting...and they are only one hour from my house.

i was cheap i just cut the oil filters open;)
am I the only rider using a lifetime filter
every oil change check the health of the whole caboodle by opening the two part filter run some varsol then pour into a fine cloth run a magnet on the deposit and presto you can find out if you are making metal that should not be there..

Used to do so myself, but I'm not working in a petro lab anymore. However, I have a cousin that has a testing lab that's been in service for 30 some years. If anyone in the New Orleans area want to check it out, it's Lubriport Labs located in Kenner, La. He also part of the British Motor Club of New Orleans.

Back