Oh god it's NOT another oil thread

Claviger

Aspiring Student
Ride
'21 Z H2, '14 R3R, '02 Daytona 955i
Doing some random research lately out of boredom and curiosity. I have been told by a certain good speed shop (not carpenter) who holds land speed records, that K&N filters are the only filters they won't use because it has cost them an engine in the past.

Being dubious of that, I went and investigated on my own. K&Ns have that wonderful little nut on the top you can use to wire the filter in place (required in most racing events).

I found this, quite interesting, as they don't even manufacture them, they're a champion labs (so is Mobile 1) filter which is who builds quite a number of brands filters. The thread below has some good actual test data:

K&N Oil Filter Betas?

Bottom Line: K&Ns are very good filters and if there was an engine lost because of it, the fault was almost certainly a manufacturing flaw/installation error/random event, which could have happened with any of the Champ Labs made filters and not down to the design.

Last edited:
Maybe, maybe not, he doesn't break it out, it's a package deal, but I think he knocked $300 or something off because I already had the PC, not sure.
But I remember the original thread on it a long time ago, when he started he used tune ECU, I think, on regular Rockets, but had trouble with the first Touring. I can't remember the exact details, but first they couldn't get it to work when he came or was supposed to get it, then he comes to get.it and pulled out his checkbook oh, we only take cash, I'm sure we must have told you that.
At the time Carpenter was the hero of the hour, a god walking the earth, but this guy was less than pleased. Or something like that, I may be off on details.

i was told by a tuner
a couple of years back so don't shoot me if i am a little off
with tunecu he could only tune at every 500 rpm segments
with pcv he could tune with every 100 rpm segments. i assume it would be a better tune

Back