Rocky Raccoon

.040 Over
Ride
2008 Rocket III Touring
After putting on about 300 miles on my new (to me) 2008 Rocket Touring, I have noticed that this bike is NOT comfortable to ride like it is. Adjusted handle bars up a little, but there are not ways to adjust any other items. The stock handgrips are cr_p. My hands go to sleep after about 15 mintues..... My main issues are:
Handgrips
Floorboards way too high (makes me feel like I am in a crouch)
Stock seat too high.

QUESTION:
Do aftermarket ISO grips fit onto the stock handle bars and ALSO allow the locking throttle wheel to stay there and operate.... (this is a nice touch from Triumph)

Anyone ever play with lowering/Raising the floorboards to allow for better leg comfort?

What seat do you recommend that will be a little lower BUT also be comfortable for the long day rides I like to take (usually about 100-200 miles)

Thanks all

I learn something new all the time. I wasn't aware early R3's came with a locking throttle wheel (my '14 R3T did not). My '16 HD V-Rod Muscle has it, but I've never used it... especially after a warning from the salesman (not releasing as it should) I bought the bike from. I've never had to move my floorboards (I'm 5'10") and for the seat I'm of no help as I have the Triumph long-haul seat (which is no longer available). My wife had an issue with the seat on her Fat Boy (too wide and too tall) and we found the most economical solution was taking it to an upholstery shop where they trimmed/sculpted the foam and retightened the leather (stock look... better feel).
-MIG

I changed my grips to Avon grips (Texas) many options. Make sure to get the metric fitment. Some folks have gone with Kuryakyn. As for your seating position if you sat on a seat pad it would give a longer leg reach to the floorboards. Some folks have put on Handlebar risers (rivco) and Rocket Classic bars. Hope some of this helps.

First thing I did to my 2010 Touring was those Rivco risers. Made all the difference to me (5'9"). Still can't quite flat foot with both feet, but I get by fine. I put some adjustable foot pegs on the crash bar, but they are still to far out to be comfortable. I hear the Rivco are not available anymore. Pity. Maybe something out there to fill that gap, hopefully.

First thing I did to my 2010 Touring was those Rivco risers. Made all the difference to me (5'9"). Still can't quite flat foot with both feet, but I get by fine. I put some adjustable foot pegs on the crash bar, but they are still to far out to be comfortable. I hear the Rivco are not available anymore. Pity. Maybe something out there to fill that gap, hopefully.
Thanks for the input.... at least I am not the only one that has comfort issues with these beasts.... I am 5'8" and am used to Harley metrics which seem to be more conducive to relaxed riding postures.

I've put a set of Thunderbird risers. Much more comfortable for me. Thunderbird handlebar risers on R3T
I am still not 100% happy with the handlebars angle though. I am thinking of looking for some bars to keep my wrists less angled.
I agree... it is the angle of the grip that are not natural for confortable riding..... Someone was talking about the classic bars.... anyone know if they are different and if so how?

Took off the (huge) windscreen for a warm run last week and WOW what a difference on handling and such.... even though I eat many more bugs I actually had more fun riding the beast. Gonna try some old Harley risers to see if I can make it work....

Took off the (huge) windscreen for a warm run last week and WOW what a difference on handling and such.... even though I eat many more bugs I actually had more fun riding the beast. Gonna try some old Harley risers to see if I can make it work....
If i am not mistaken, Harleys use 1/2 in bolts for the risers, those won't fit our bikes w/o mods.

Back