drwest

Standard Bore
Hey folks! Newbie to the wonderful world of R3’s. I come to this forum under odd circumstances and I hope to gain some knowledge about rocket 3’s. In summary my 69 year old father went out and bought a near new fully decked out Rocket 3 on impulse. He has been riding his entire life but he soon discovered that this R3 is far too much scooter for him to handle (he weighs about 150 lbs wet). He is now insistent on trading his R3 for my 02 Dyna, but to be completely honest I really think that this R3 is too much scooter for me as well. Does anyone know what the market is like for an excellent R3? Please feel free to PM me. From what I understand it has 4000 miles on it, all decked out with some sort of chrome package, aftermarket exhaust, and a very nice set of hard bags. I have ridden this bike a couple of weeks ago and it is absolutely hell on wheels. When this bike soon ends up in my garage I hope to become knowledgeable about it. It has got to be the fastest bike I have ever wrestled with.

The resell is typical of metric bikes and not anywhere near what HD's are. If you are serious about riding motorcycles, give the Rocket some time, it'll grow on you. Don't let the size of the gas tank or engine intimidate you. You'll be surprised how docile and versatile it can be.

And welcome to the site.

..well doc..I'm new to the R3 world as well, coming from a Honda VTX 1300, and I can tell ya that..1. it handles as easily as the 1300..2. it has much better brakes..and, well you know about the power..:D..

..and like pig9r says..the resale value just ain't there..Harley got us there..who cares..a motorcycle sure ain't an investment..I paid 10 Gs for my 06 with 1700 miles on it..I was happy with that..do whatever your pop wants..make him happy..

dr, Welcome the forum. You can gain Captain status in a heart beat and a major rush all provided by the RIII. You don't mention your bike history. The beast can be tamed but fully respected at all times. It ain't no hardley ableson or VTX equivalent. The weights are not appreciably different when you get right down to it. 703 dry and standardized.

dr, show her some respect and she will treat you right and you'll get the ride of you life. SMILE CITY:D:D:D:D
Bob

thanks for the input fellas. I must admit that it was fun running around on the R3 while visiting my dad down in New Braunsfels, Tx. Those bikes sure draw plenty of attention, especially with the Harley ralley going on at the time. Typically I buy distressed (wrecked) Harleys and rebuild them for a hobby, this R3 is certainly bucking the trend. The Rockets performance is second to none, but I prefer slow and loud, so I will need to turn this bike. If any of you all know of anyone looking for a Rocket, please shoot them my way.

>>He has been riding his entire life but he soon discovered that this R3 is far too much scooter for him to handle (he weighs about 150 lbs wet). He is now insistent on trading his R3 for my 02 Dyna, but to be completely honest I really think that this R3 is too much scooter for me as well.

To this I would offer the following - this why I loved (and trusted) my now defunct dealer, who literally forced me to test ride the brand new RIII when it first came out, whereupon I immediately ordered one... and who had a picture up on the wall outside his office and everytime some big dude came in and said "that's too much bike for me" and he would show them that pic which was taken on the day I came and picked up mine...
it was the most beautiful motorcycle I had ever seen then, and now... the balance, handling, and power of that machine is just
:D:D:D
what can I say, other than I'm about 120 pounds and just try and take my ride away from me, it's not going to happen.
I suggest you try it, YOU'LL LIKE IT!!! I simply cannot imagine selling mine...

Yeah, I may be too over protective of my dad, but he is pushing 70 years old. FYI - his other mode of transportation is a grossly overpowered T-Bucket hot rod that he built. It will be a challenge getting him out of that one.

Back