Newbie...Just Purchased a 2023 R3 GT in Saphire Black

jrod2023

Standard Bore
Ride
2023 Rocket 3 GT
I struggled between the GT and the R but being 59 the upright bars, heatde grips and a few other options helped me make the difference.
I havent put a miel on it but already considering mid controls. I understand the Mid cotrols with the higher handlebars are a nice match. Being 5'8" with a 30" inseam....any recommendations? Shoudl I just have them install the mid controls when I pick up the bike?

Hi...Welcome...I had the same thoughts when i got my first GT as i had come from a 2016 R3 Roadster with the pegs under me. After maybe 2 days on the GT with the forward pegs i found it very comfy and stayed with it...it is a good sitting position. You just got to get used to not putting your feet where they used to go when you first get going!...takes a day or two.

WELCOME! to our R3 Family... Is this your first Triumph or next? Unless you have a strong strong feeling... I agree with @Tal, take the opportunity to put some miles on her as is then start tweaking your riding comfort. I had to get used to forward pegs on my V-Rod Muscle...and to be honest it fits that bike. Enjoy your new Perma-Grin! :thumbsup: :cool:
-MIG

Welcome.
I think the general view is work with what you've started with and make the decision one way or the other at the first service interval. Especially if you're considering moving from forward to mid. I think it's more likely that way round than the other way round.
I'm 6' 3" (34" inside leg) and I've gone with all GT set up but with mid controls.
Forward had it's good points, but I just felt that the bike felt less chuckable in the corners than with the mid's .
Also, I found my legs not as relaxed as they should be in forward position because I just tended to find that my feet felt like they were slipping out to the side and I was having to hold them toward the centreline of the bike.....maybe I wasn't used to them enough. It could also be due the the fact that the bike is so wide and my hips are not THAT wide, if you know what I mean.
My next plan is to work on the seat. The GT seat is deeper & wider in plan view, which makes it a huge winner as far as comfort, but it's unfortunately lower, so my plan is to work it up so I keep the main shape of the GT but bring the height up, without it looking any different over all. Then I think it will be just perfect...for me.

Here's a ride review where both models are ridden together and the riders swap half way and eventually decide which one they prefer and why etc...

Back