New Rocket Touring owner in northern Virginia

Joesmoe

IMOKUR2
Ride
Triumph: 2014 Rocket III Touring
Happy as pig in slop ? Happy as a clam ?

This group "sold" the bike to me, helping me overcome the sense that it'd be too much. Rode it home from the dealership today. i had no problem turning it in our street and cul de sac, and maneuvering past the car in the driveway, and with my daughter's help, getting the bike on the ramp, and rotating the bike.

I ordered the cute little leather tank protector with the small pocket, "long haul" seat with the front position back rest, auxiliary electric socket, locking gas cap, and again thanks to this group I had them install the Avon heated grips (that's another story). I also ordered, and don't yet have, the service manual.

They had a supplemental five-year warranty, which I purchased. I declined all the other 'extras'.

Separately, I plan to order the McCruise kit (I had one on the ST1300 I just traded, and loved it), and I have a Geza Gear cover coming in (had one for my departed V-Strom, and loved it).

I also want either a trunk or a high-quality travel bag to carry on back.
Paul-on-Rocket_right-front_20140816.jpg

Congratulations, looks great and I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun with her. Corbin makes a couple of trunks, at the usual Corbin prices (ouch), otherwise I like the Kuryakyn bags a lot, they strap wide velcro "wings" around the rear sissy bar and basically just need a couple of straps to remain rock steady on the bike. I use the Grantour bag myself, it's medium-sized and complements the panniers nicely storage-wise (if not looks-wise). If I were buying today, I'd probably get the "Full Dresser" bag, it can hold more and it has wheels to get you from the bike and inside without carrying a heavy load.

I was lucky enough to get some pannier liner bags from "TLC Products" before they went defunct, not sure if anyone else makes tailored ones for the R3T right now but they're awesome to have, really helps on/offloading the rather narrow panniers.

Last edited:
Very nice looking bike there Joe. You don't have to spend big to get a good quality, useful bag. Unless you want something semi-permanent, maybe have a look at some of the expandable bags from R-Jays, MotoDry, Kuryakyn, Saddleman etc. Easy on and off and very versatile. The problem I have with hard bags in general is that they have no give and limit the size and shape of what you can load a lot more than soft luggage. There are some good quality top boxes around though, and some are surprisingly inexpensive.

Congrats. A word of caution on the tank bra. While it is very useful to hold you ezpass or similar, it can mar the clearcoat finish after a while.

Back