New 2500cc Rocket III

This rumor always comes up. Why would Triumph bump up to 2500cc? A simple change in cams and compression ratio, along with the appropriate fuel map and ignition timing would up power considerably without the cost of basically developing a whole new engine.

A lot of it will be a marketing bonanza and huge bragging rights - Triumph are having a major anniversary in 2010 and a very special new model will be announced on sept 18th - the weekend of the goodwood festival of speed ... it does seem to be on the cards this time, the roadster augmented by one with exotic brakes and suspension and etc etc etc

Last edited:
I read that Triumph has one bore machine and both the Rockets share the same 101.6/94.3mm. bore/stroke and the Thunderbird is 103.8/94.3mm bore/stroke.I remember John Bloor stating that a new machine would exceed one million dollars and for their production numbers the cost was prohibited...Besides 2294 is plenty..add a blower and re-tune and exhaust and you will far exceed the potential of more cc's..my personal observation/opinion!

yup, the new roadster has got badish reviews in superbike and bike magazines, because of the speed limiter at 120 mph and the restriction to the mapping - so they are not doing themselves any favors with the marketing - otoh maybe they are afraid of a crippling lawsuit for a kevin carmichael-type destricted tune - it is unfortunate in these 3-4 bike shootouts that the r3 is always hampered by the tune restriction, when the average enthusiast will vastly up the power with not a lot of money with a few tried and tested mods ... i fully agree that the existing lump has more than enough tuning potential for most of us:D

Last edited:
Back