National Cycle V-Stream

Marky Mark

.060 Over
Ride
"Christine" 2007 Rocket III
I just finished my installation of a National Cycle VStream windscreen. I bought the VStream N28204, which is the one configured for the M109R2. The 204 is the dark tint, 'short' version.

The M109 has the same size fork tubes, so you really only need to trim the screen. There are two heavy, stamped steel brackets that fit around the upper forks, and the screen bolt to that via four screws. It's much more sturdy than most of the handlebar mount screens out there. The tricky part is getting the brackets in the right place - Each bracket half has a stick on rubber gasket that makes it nearly impossible to slide the brackets, even with the bolts completely loose. You have partially remove them and reposition. Also, when you tighten the bolts , the brackets 'walk' toward the front, so you have to position them a little bit rotated to the sides, so they will migrate into the right position when tight. Also, don't over-do the tightening - It's easy to cross thread; I sheared two of the bolts (8mm!) with a small box-end wrench, and I'm not the Incredible Hulk. I had to run to Lowe's for some stainless 5/16 carriage bolts and stop nuts.

Once the brackets are in place, I taped up the screen, removed the bolt holding the headlights, and let them hang while I loosely mounted the screen. I then held the headlights up in position and used a Sharpee to mark the tape where I needed to trim. I used a soup bowl to trace the arc I needed for each headlight. I used a sabre saw with a very fine-tooth blade to trim, and a Dremel with a barrel router bit to smooth the cut. Yes, it takes some fortitude to take a sabre saw to a $260 screen! I used the technique of 'measure three times, cut once', and made sure I cut well inside my mark, then then made two follow-up cuts after checking the fit.

It turned out pretty well, fits like it was actually made for the Rocket. I chose the short screen as I prefer a sport-bike type air pocket, and a large screen gets really hot in the Florida humidity. The V-Stream fits the contour of the Rocket really well, and I think it looks better than the Road-King style barndoor.

Screen1.jpg
Screen2.jpg
Screen4.jpg

Last edited:
Damm nice workmanship there, Marky Mark.
Amazing the radius of the cutouts even seem to match.
Did you have to alter the screen?

Looks great Mark. Had no idea a 109 shield could be used for our beasts and I just ordered a clearview shield today, which are also great screens. I had a V-Stream on one of my old e-glides and loved it.

Damm nice workmanship there, Marky Mark.
Amazing the radius of the cutouts even seem to match.
Did you have to alter the screen?

Yes I did have to trim it - second paragraph has the details. It's t not that hard if you have proper tools and proceed carefully, always cut less than you need to, then refit and trim again.

how does this windscreen compare to the factory screen regarding wind protection..

how does this windscreen compare to the factory screen regarding wind protection..

This is the only screen Ive had on this bike, Id say it compares to my ZG1000 Concours that had a short screen - it takes all the blast off my chest, and the flow around my helmet is smooth (Im 5'10 FWIW). The Vstream is designed to smooth the airflow, and works really well in that regard. I didn't want a big barndoor - it channels all that engine heat right back in your face in summer, and it gets really hot here.

This is the only screen Ive had on this bike, Id say it compares to my ZG1000 Concours that had a short screen - it takes all the blast off my chest, and the flow around my helmet is smooth (Im 5'10 FWIW). The Vstream is designed to smooth the airflow, and works really well in that regard. I didn't want a big barndoor - it channels all that engine heat right back in your face in summer, and it gets really hot here.
very nice work but I just wondered if my regular triumph screen is as good or not before buying cutting fitting etc etc ..another screen and since I have no knowledge of the ZG1000 concours I unable to make a decision 'll stick to the sport screen for now but I must say the mod looks very sharp

Back