scot in exile

Living Legend
Ride
2011 Rocket
Brilliant idea or clutching at straws???????????

euters) - Harley-Davidson Inc moved into kids electric bikes on Tuesday with the purchase of California-based StaCyc Inc, tapping a new business outside its declining core market in classic motorcycles.

StaCyc's 'EDRIVE' bikes, which retail at around $650, are aimed at toddlers and kids, encouraging them to have fun outdoors as they learn to balance while getting a hang of biking.

The lightweight bikes have an aluminum frame and boast of three power modes and a 45 to 60 minutes charge time. A single charge delivers a cycle time between 30 and 60 minutes.

"The StaCyc electric two-wheelers will provide an entry point for the youngest riders," Harley said in a statement.

Harley's sales have declined in the United States as its core baby boomer audience ages and millennials are slow to purchases its motorcycles that can cost upwards of $28,000.

In January, the company said it expects to ship up to 222,000 motorcycles globally in 2019, the lowest number since 2010.

The company last year unveiled a plan to introduce cheaper, nimbler bikes to woo young riders, and plans to launch its first electric motorcycle without the traditional clutch and gear-shift controls by fall this year.

Harley aims to deliver "a full range of electric products for a vast audience," Senior Vice President of marketing and brand Heather Malenshek said.

The company did not disclose the price at which it bought StaCyc.

Not a bad idea to bring traffic into the stores. The market of electric bikes, skateboards and the like is hot. Orthopedists have to be loving it. I had to pedal my bike but would have loved one of these.

Dave, it should be good for your motorcycle riding course products. Make a class for the kids and the mothers. Proper techniques and safety measures. It will be great.

Now, do they come with the Harley sound option?

Between the curry burning Harleys and these even smaller ones, they seem to be trying to tap new markets. I hope it is not too little too late.

I would ride a Triumph twisty killer with the weight of a 250 and the torque of the R3. Forget the range. We have big bikes and trucks for that.

Now, do they come with the Harley sound option?

This is as close as they will get - and maybe they will clone them as 'accessories' ;):D:roll::roll::roll:

1*P3EMp3fpWIXI5rd-R2Yqsg@2x.jpeg

Back