My Moto Hobo life

Great place to visit. We were there 2 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. Travelled by cable car a lot to get a birds eye view of the zoo. Did you stop in at the aviation museum nearby?
I skipped that one. I wanted to go on the Midway Aircraft Carrier as well. Next time...You could spend a few weeks there and not see everything.

Tribal, you are one lucky SOB. That hitch snapping off would have been disastrous for all your gear, maybe for you too.

Sliding solid steel bars into the tube would work to strengthen it, possibly rebuild it.

Though you had just replaced the rear tire, Tread is wearing thin in the last shot.

Dang bad news on the hitch brother, but glad to hear it didn't wreck you!

The pictures above bring back many good memories of SD. I was stationed at NASNI and the overlook photo makes me happy. That pier is good too. Two of my sons got their ocean lifeguard certs while I was there and they get to jump off the end and swim back to the beach. Lifeguards are the only ones legally allowed to jump from that pier.

That hitch looks toast. I would replace rather than repair as it will just bend further down if you fix that spot. The rollers on 111 are pretty big and flood out for days if we ever have rain. Did you stop at slab city and Salvation Mountain? If not check both out when hitch is repaired, you would fit in perfectly camping at Slab City and Salvation Mountain is a must see.

That hitch looks toast. I would replace rather than repair as it will just bend further down if you fix that spot. The rollers on 111 are pretty big and flood out for days if we ever have rain. Did you stop at slab city and Salvation Mountain? If not check both out when hitch is repaired, you would fit in perfectly camping at Slab City and Salvation Mountain is a must see.
Adding to my thoughts...
You extended the hitch fulcrum point when you added that drop hitch that sticks out past the original ball. This will add quite a bit more stress and load to the overall hitch and probably created the failure of the tube steel. When you replace try not to move the hitch ball location further out from the original or you will be over stressing the design

I thought for a second there you headed south to @Tripps
Screenshot_20201130-131739_Chrome.jpg

If you have access to a good welder you could fabricate a new hoop that is lowered the 3” and not need to buy a replacement. A custom made one might be the way to go. It does not look like a lot of work or very complex to make especially if you use the one you have as a template to start from.

20 years ago it was a cool place to go. So many more homeless and druggies there now. This is what California has become. The homeless can pretty much do as they want other than injuring people. If you go through Anaheim to check out Disneyland you will see miles upon miles of homeless shelters. It really is beyond sad what this once great state has become although look past that and like San Diego, there are some pretty cool places to visit still. If you have a chance to visit San Clemente, San Juan Capistrano area then do it as it is pretty spectacular. Good luck.:thumbsup:

Back